Chapter 1

Isaac walked into the music room with unease. A few months ago he had decided to dump the piano to properly mourn his mother. He remembered her last words and fell to the ground "I'll not always be here with you Isaac but never stop playing for me".
     Those years Isaac always looked forward to playing the piano with his father or sister and was always happy when his mother watched. In short, she never missed a piece.
     But now, she was gone. He only had his father and 10year old Ivana with him.
     He crawled to the piano and let his tears pour down on its legs.
     Then he heard a beautiful sound. The sound of a violin playing Vivaldi's "Four seasons". He let himself drown in the sound and soon fell asleep.

     By the time he awoke, the sky was blue and stars twinkled brightly. He got up and headed home.
     As he opened the door of his house, his sister ran and hugged him "Isaac, father is worried" she said.
     He sighed and entered their music room. His father sat on the piano bench and played his heart away. It took time for him to notice Isaac standing behind him "Oh, Isaac, you're home"
     Isaac nodded.
     Without uttering a word he ran to his room and fell on his bed.
     "Why?" he screamed as he gritted his teeth. He didn't even have dinner.

     The next day, he got ready for school and left with his sister. Ivana was worried.
     She decided to request a meeting with her brother's best friends: Flora Banks and Georg Monet.
     Flora was a nextdoor neighbor to the Smiths and she lived alone. Her parents were both archaeologists who based abroad. The only times they came back home was when there was a festival. In order not to be consumed in her loneliness she became a part of the school's choir. She was well committed and soon rose to being the best soprano soloist. Even though she didn't want to admit it, she liked Isaac. She felt it was improper as they had known one another for a very long time. Since they were 3. They probably saw themselves as siblings.
     Georg Monet on the other hand was someone with an enviable background. He had been friends with Flora and Isaac for nearly 5 years now. Back then in elementary school, he stood up for Isaac whenever he was bullied and always spent time with Flora as she was almost always alone.
     He was the head of the football team and also the ladies man.
     So when Ivana asked them to meet her in the playground, they rushed there immediately.
     "Flora, Georg, we need to do something about Isaac. He doesn't want to play anymore" Ivana wailed.
     Flora sighed, "I'm sure he's still grieving"
     "He's tearing apart"
     "So, what should we do?" She asked.
     Georg smiled "I hear the  Chicago Classical Musical is coming up" he said "Let's sign him up"
     Ivana hugged him tight. "Thank you so much"
     Flora frowned "He's going to be angry we did that" she said.

     "You what?" He screamed as Georg handed him the form.
     Georg smiled "This is our last year in middle school so we have to make good use of it"
     Isaac laughed "I haven't played the piano for over six months"
     "We believe in you" Flora said as she locked eyes with him.
     "The competition is in April so I have approximately two weeks to practice." He said as he took the form.
     That night when he got home, he entered the music room, he felt nervous and out of place.
     As he raised the lid of the piano, memories flooded his mind. "I can do it"  he said to himself.
     He heaved a sigh and played the opening bars of Ode to Joy. His mother's favorite piece.  He soon got engrossed in the melody that he didn't know when he fell asleep. He woke up and found himself under the piano, a blanket over him.
     "I'm going to play for the competition" he said to himself. Ivana watched him and smiled. She had her big brother back.