Chapter 4

The Boars, Lincoln Park's leading football club headed by Georg Monet was going to have a local match. Flora decided to attend. At least to let him know he was not alone.
     "You can do it" she screamed from the spectators grounds. He looked at her and smiled. The smile melted her heart.
     Seated, Flora remembered when she had held Isaac's hand. His hands had definitely grown bigger and wider. It had felt warm.
     When they were younger, Isaac had been the smallest and most timid of the three of them. Because of that, he was bullied a lot. If not for Georg, he would have probably been withdrawn from school.
      She then remembered when she'd go over to his house to hear him play the piano. Sometimes she'd solo a song for him but those days were over now. Tears began trickling from her eyes.
     Isaac Smith was like a brother to her and nothing more. She tried to convince herself. She didn't know what to do.
     "How are you?" Georg asked her as they walked to a nearby cafe. He reeked of sweat.
     She sighed "I don't know" was all she could mutter.
     Georg smiled "It amazes me how big Isaac is now. He's all grown up"
     Of all the times to talk about Isaac must it be now Flora thought. "When is the match taking place?" She asked changing the topic of discussion.
     Yearly, a match between two neighbouring schools took place for the last year football clubs in each division: Elementary school, Middle school and High school. This year was against Nile West High school so it was going to be tough.
     "We are obviously training our hearts out but I badly want to win" he said.
     Flora gave him a friendly pat on the back "You've grown up. So who's your current girlfriend?" She asked.
     Georg burst out laughing "I....." And they entered the cafe for coffee.

     "That's your third mistake in a row" a middle-aged woman yelled at a young girl "How do you intend to go against Josephine Abrams and Isaac Smith with such a lackadaisical demeanor" she scolded.
     Beth Waltz was Nile West's masterpiece. She was a skilled pianist who played only because she wanted to impress her tutor.
     The Chicago Classical Musical was coming up in a week and she felt like she still wasn't ready to play her piece.
     She repeated the piece till her fingers ached. She just wanted to prove to Miss. Suzanne that she could be the best musician. She just had to.

     "My father will be around to watch me play" Josephine said as looked at Isaac as he played the piano.
     He didn't say anything. He didn't even raise his head up.
     Josephine became angry and slammed the lid of the piano on his fingers.
     "Ouch" he exclaimed in pain. "What was that for?" He asked.
     "Why do you always put your head down?" She asked smiling that she had gotten his undivided attention.
     He laughed.
     "Tell me?" She whined.
     He stood up and walked to the window "I don't know, I don't just feel like there's anything worth looking up to" he said.
     Josephine got up too and stood next to him. He was way taller than her and their features contrasted.
     While he had a nice body build, Quiff haircut, Blue eyes she had a frail body build, long carefree hair and green eyes "You still haven't found a reason to play, huh" she asked.
     He nodded.
     She laughed "I see you enjoy lying to yourself, the competition is next week. I pray I perform first so you'll get what I mean" she said and walked to where her violin lay. She picked it up and kissed it "What's the name of your piano? She asked.
     He stared at her puzzled "Why would I ever want to name my piano?" He asked
     "My violin's name is Uri. She means "light" because she brought light to my life" she said "Another thing try to create a bond with your instrument. It always help because that instrument is a part of you" she added.

     When he got home that evening, he thought over what she had said. How can an instrument be part of someone? Why did he play? What's going on? All these questions ran through his mind. He entered the music room and stared at the piano. He walked and stood beside it. "So, I have to give you a name" he said.
     No reply.
     "I'll name you after my mother because you always remind me of her" he said in a single breathe "Your name is Becca" he announced.
     He sat on the bench and pressed a key. "Let's do this Becca" and he played till late in the night.

     "Mom, can I ask a favor?" Josephine said as she cleared her dishes away.
     Lori smiled "What does my invincible princess want?" She asked.
     "On the day of the prelims, I want you to prepare a lunch for four" she said.
     Lori was surprised. "Why?"
     Josephine smiled "I want Isaac, his friends and I to have a little celebration together. I have a feeling we are going to win" she said.
     "Consider it done"
     Josephine entered her room and fell on her bed. "Now, I just have to find a way to get his contact card." She said and drifted into a calm sleep.