Chapter 5

Two days to the preliminaries Reuben Abrams arrived home. Josephine had gone to school earlier so he only met his wife, Lori.
     "I'm home" he announced and Lori popped her head out of the kitchen.
     She sighed "Why did you come so early, you have to manage this hot chocolate before the chicken marinades" she said.
     Reuben stared at his wife. She only marinaded chicken for special occasions. "Is there a party I don't know about?" He asked
     She laughed "Ask your daughter when you see her" was all she replied.
     He dropped his luggage in the room and went to stay in the kitchen too. He missed being by her side.

     "Isaac!" Flora yelled for the umpteenth time "Let's go to class" she said.
     He picked up the score and sighed "I still have to perfect it. The competition is next tomorrow"
     "You know, the summer classes begin soon" Flora reminded him.
     He nodded.
     "Please come with me" she begged.
     Reluctantly, he got up from the piano bench and walked to class.

     Josephine didn't come for practice that afternoon. She spent it with her father. They spoke about the countries he had visited and about her school schedule. She had a pretty nice relationship with her father.
     "So, do you need a new dress?" He asked.
     She nodded. "I have an idea, let's go to the mall now and get it" she said.
     "Anything for my princess" was her father's reply.
     She changed into a yellow polkadotted gown and a pair of flip flops. "I'm ready" she screamed.
     Her father smiled when he saw her "Lori, we're going to the mall. Don't miss us too much" he said
     Lori smiled "Be sure to be back before evening" was all she said

     The mall was packed with a lot of people. Josephine even bumped into some once or twice. She walked to the clothes stand and saw a lot of pretty gowns. Her father found it hard keeping up with her.
     She wanted something stunning and comfortable. She flipped and flipped and flipped till she found the perfect gown. A green laced trumpet gown. She grabbed it and looked at the price tag. 20 dollars. Perfect dress. Perfect price. She turned and her eyes fell on a blue four-piece suit. She imaged Isaac in it and smiled. He would look stunning. She walked to it and had a look on the price tag "25 dollars". She smiled and took it.
     Finally her father found her. He was shocked seeing her with a suit alongside the gown "Jo, what's up with the suit".
     She stared at him with her greatest weapon. Puppy eyes. "Dad, please pay for the suit"
     "Fine" he said reluctantly.
     He wanted to know what was going on in his daughter's mind.

     In the music room, Isaac was fuming with anger. Of all times for her to miss practice must it be two days to the preliminaries.
     Georg laughed. Today, he had decided to meet his best friend's new friend and she didn't show up "So what's her name?" He asked.
     Isaac got up and stood by the window. "This just means that I shouldn't play" he said under his breathe.
     "What did you say?" Georg asked.
     Isaac turned and smiled "Nothing" he replied with a grin on his face.

     The next day after classes, Josephine arrived at the music room with her violin and a fancy bag "Sorry, I couldn't come yesterday" she apologized.
     "So what are we going to do" Isaac asked.
     "Since tomorrow is the prelims, we are going to practice till it's night" she said taking her violin from it's case.
     Isaac felt like strangling her. He couldn't believe her nerves. She missed practice yesterday and now she acted bossy. "You missed practice yesterday if I should remind you" he said.
     She nodded "That's why we are going to practice"
     He inhaled and exhaled to try to calm himself down.
     They played their pieces.
     Outside, Flora listened to the music. She wanted to go in and compliment them but she couldn't. She just ran. She didn't know what was going on.

     6pm. 7pm. 8pm. 9pm. The sky was already dark but all Josephine said was "Again". He felt like killing her.
     When she felt like she was satisfied, she said "I think it's time to go home"
     Think? Was she nuts? Isaac thought. Of course it was time to go home. They walked together out of the school premises and Josephine stopped when they got to the bridge.
     The stars were twinkling brightly. "What do you think about the stars?" She asked.
     Isaac looked "They're beautiful" he said.
     "What do you see in the stars?" She asked.
     Now, she was crazy. Who would look up to the sky and imagine things were up there.
     "I see a rabbit and her young" she said "Also a choir singing" she added.
     He laughed and she gave him a frightening stare "Ok, I see Orion and Pleiades"
     She dragged his ears hard "What do you see? Be more creative" she said.
     He saw drummers drumming. Singers singing. Birds humming "I see a lady playing a violin" he said at last.
     Josephine smiled "Any time you feel like looking down, look up and imagine the stars in different ways" she then handed him the fancy bag "Please wear this tomorrow" she said.
     He didn't know when he took the bag and they parted ways.

     Back at home, Ivana was worried. It wasn't new though. As soon as he entered the house she jumped on him. She then grabbed the bag and looked inside. Her eyes widened as she saw the suit. She made him try it on.
     He looked stunning in it.
     Tomorrow was going to be his big day.