Chapter 9

Reuben sighed as he clutched his luggage. "Too bad I have to fly to Singapore tonight and there's a storm" he said.
    His wife smiled "You don't have to go you know" she said.
    "Loretta Abrams, you know things don't just work like that" he said as he hugged her again.
    Josephine ran out of the kitchen all covered in flour. She was panting heavily "Dad, just wait. I made a Jose special. You just have to eat it" she yelled and gave him a thumbs up.
    Lori laughed. "Your silliness gets worse everyday. So are you staying Reuben?" She asked.
    "Do I have a choice" came his reply.
    Josephine ran and hugged her father "In case the salt is too much, query your wife" she whispered in his ear.
    They both laughed.

    "Bye" Josephine said for the umpteenth time that afternoon. She had already finished a pack of serviette. Then she thought to herself "I can't be sad. It's a crime. I have to be happy". She stared at her phone's screen. 3:49pm. Isaac would still be at the Music room.
    She put a couple of "Jose's Buns" in a fancy bag and bounced happily to school "Bye mom, I'll be back before dusk."
    Lori knew better than to argue with her daughter "Ok dearie".

    After a bite he flung the bun away "Do you want to cut my liver?" He asked grabbing a bottle of water.
     "Don't you dare speak evil of a Jose Bun" Josephine warned.
     "Has your dad left yet?" He asked
     She nodded "But he's promised to be around for the first stage though" she said.
     "Hmph"
     She walked to her bag and took out the file that was the reason her room became a mess "This is what I want us to play" she said as she handed the file to him.
     He took it. As soon as he took a glance at it he choked on his water "You must be crazy" he said as he flung the file at her.
     Now, he had passed his limit. She picked up the file, walked up and hit him hard with it "You've signed your death sentence" and she hit him again.
     He held his head in pain "Why did you choose something like Saint-Saën's Symphony No 3" he asked.
     "I felt like" she said placing the file next to her chest "We had a connection"
     He sighed "So you expect me to play a hard piece just because you felt a connection?" He asked.
     Josephine sat down beside him "Don't tell me you don't feel the connection too?"
     He had to think through his answer if not she'd explode again and he didn't want that "The next time we meet, I promise I'll have an answer". He said.
     "That's fair" she said.
     "Uh, Josephine"
     She smiled "Yes Isaac"
     He didn't know how to start. "Uh, next month Flora will be having her 14th birthday party and I'd really appreciate if you graced it"
     Josephine exploded with joy "What's her favorite color? What anime does she like to watch? What kind of party are we planning for her? Who kind of gowns does she wear?" She kept asking questions after question.
    Isaac didn't understand her at all. She didn't even give him time to answer "Ivana and I decided to set up a picnic party" he said.
     "Don't worry about the food and we have to choose a dress code too" she said as she began prancing around the room.
     He laughed. He didn't know she could be so concerned "You're a girl so you and Ivana can settle that privately, I wanted to ask if we could play together"
     "How would you transport your piano?" She asked.
     "Georg promised to help" he replied.
     She smiled "So that's a yes from me"
     What would he have done without her. Even though they had just met for roughly a month, she had proven herself different.

     To cut the long story short, after much kicking and ear dragging and slapping, Isaac agreed to play the piece.
     But, most of the time they rehearsed Flora's birthday piece.

   About Flora's birthday, Ivana and Josephine were working hard to ensure it was a success. Since Flora's favorite color was blue. A blue mat was bought.
     Luckily, the Smiths had a blue set of cutlery and Josephine had a blue jug with plastic cups to match.
     It was then agreed that everyone wore a light blue top and dark blue shorts. That day was to be dedicated to Flora and no one else.

    "Tomorrow is first of May" Isaac said as he walked home with Josephine.
    As usual, she was distracted.
    He walked closer to her and whispered in her ear "Tomorrow is the first of May"
    She jerked back to reality "You pervert" she said.
     He smiled "I wonder what you and Ivana have in mind"
     "Just make sure not to forget the dress code" she said.
     He nodded.

    Ivana tiptoed to her brother's room after dinner. "Isaac, I need to talk to you" she hushed in a low tone.
    Isaac smiled "What is it?" He asked.
    "When are you going to confess your love to Josephine" she asked as she fell on the bed.
    He burst into a feat of laughter "So you're trying to tell me that that's what you've been filling your head with? Do you know your algebra now?" He asked.
    She pursed her lips. She didn't like it when her brother teased her "It was so obvious that you liked her. Even dad is talking about it" she said.
     He grabbed her nose "Don't you dare initiate dad into your jobless cult that only thinks about irrelevant things and Ivana, you're still in elementary school" he wailed.
     "My last year in elementary school if I may correct you" she said.
    "Shoo to your room now" he said and she left.
    Did he really like Josephine. He doubted it. He wasn't sure.