Chapter 11

"Happy birthday Flora" a classmate said.
    "Happy birthday senior" a junior friend said.
    "Happy birthday dear" the bass soloist said as he handed her a bouquet of flowers.
    Handel had performed a lot with Flora so he knew what a treasure she was. "Thank you" she replied as she took her gifts.
    She tried her best to keep the tears away. Isaac snuck up to her and pulled her hair "Happy birthday bestie" he screamed.
    This was what happened every year. So she turned and embraced him. "I wonder what you have in mind?" She asked.
    He slipped his hand in his pocket and brought out an envelope "Come to this venue by 4pm" and he left.

    "My head" Josephine screamed as she crawled to her bathroom. She opened the first drawer of the cupboard pulled out a cup. In it were her medications. She put the required dose on her palm and swallowed it. She leaned against the sinker and drank from her cupped palms.
    She felt better and had enough strength to get up "I won't be able to go to school today so I'll just lay in bed".
    She did just that.
    Her mother walked in. "Josephine, what's wrong?" She asked as she met her on the bed.
    "Do I look dead?" Josephine asked as she suddenly went dramatic.
    Lori laughed "Of course not. Are you skipping school?"
    Josephine nodded "I'll still have to be somewhere by 3pm"
    "Don't stress yourself. I made Ham sandwiches and packed a lot of fruits too for the picnic party" she said as she looked at her daughter "I'll leave by noon to get some fresh milk and juice from the grocery store" she added.
     Josephine turned to look at her mother and said "What'll I do without you mom" she said.
    Lori smiled "Absolutely nothing"
    And they laughed.

   Georg walked into the class with a huge hamper. In it were Flora's favorite mangas and video games "Where's my baby sister?" He asked as he walked to her seat.
   Flora's eyes went wild with excitement "You don't have to do this every year Georg" she said as she eyed the hamper.
   And like every year, the whole class stood up and sang for her.
   It was like a tradition.
   Classes flew rather too fast. Soon it was school over and everyone left.
   Isaac noticed Josephine didn't come. He was surprised. He tried calling but her phone was dead.

    Flora smiled as she opened her drawers. She thought she would dress simple. Her eyes fell on a normal T-shirt. It had her name printed on it.
    "That's the one" she said as she picked it. She placed it gently on her bed. She soon found the perfect shorts and placed it beside the t-shirt.
    She smiled as she brushed her fingers through her hair. "If only her parents were here" she thought.
    Hurriedly, she dressed up and in the process left the invitation on her bed. She wouldn't be needing anyway.

    "I'm not coming" Ivana announced as soon as she got home.
    Isaac laughed "Why?"
   She smiled. "A friend of mine lost a cousin so I've been personally invited to play an ode at the requiem mass" she said emphasizing on the "personally".
    Her father nodded his head.
    "Fine, I'm going alone" Isaac whined.

    Lori entered her daughter's room for the umpteenth time. Although Josephine was all dressed up, she knew she wasn't feeling too well "I'll drive you there" she said as Josephine pouted her lips.
    "I'll seem like a baby" she complained.
    "I won't have you coming back to me on a stretcher"
    "I wish dad was here to save me from his wife" Josephine murmured.
    "What'd you say?" Lori asked.
    Josephine flashed a smile "I just said okey dokey. I'm going with you"
    "I'll go get the keys"