Welcome to my life

Welcome to my life

28th November, 2021

It was another Monday morning and I was trying my best not to cry because of the loud bell my mom was ringing to wake everyone up for morning devotion. I hated it.

I dragged myself from the bed and grudgingly went to the washroom to take care of my morning breath and also wash my face. That moment, my mom deemed it fit to barge into my room with koboko  expecting to see me on my bed still sleeping.

Mothers would always be mothers.

"Stephanie, do you want to say that you didn't hear the bell I've been ringing for the last 15 minutes?", she asked with clear disdain in her voice.

"Good morning mom", I told her exactly what every African parent would want to hear from a responsible child omoluabi every morning.

"Good morning my dear", she replied with a smile etched on her face. It looked fake but I didn't care.

And that's how you talk to an angry African mother.

But I didn't expect the next thing I received.

Wham

Wham

Wham

I held my cheek in incredulity as tears rushed down my face.

" Didn't I ask you a question? But you think you can change the subject easily ehn? If you like, report me to your twin brother o. I kuku know how to deal with both of you. Useless thing. Stupid idiot. Prostitute. See what she is wearing as her pajamas. No wonder your father wanted to give you up for adoption when you were born. But me being the stupid one begged him not to and now I regret my decision. Your brother is enough for us", she yelled in an extremely loud voice which brought my brother into my room.

"Ekaaro ma", Stephen greeted like the good boy he was while frustrating fully with his chest on the ground.

" Haaaaaaa. Oko mi, dide. Omoluabi ni eleyi", she said but I wasn't bothered about it like before.

Numb

Impassive

Dull

Apathetic

Unemotional

Indifferent

That was all I felt. 

I was already used to it. It was already like a mantra that she made sure it stuck.

Stephen stood up and looked at me with pity in his eyes and I saw hurt flash through his eyes but he quickly masked it with a toothy grin and waved at me. Mom looked frantic because of that single act and she knocked his head very hard while he just winced in pain and turned to look at her like he was about to cry.

"Ma binu baba oko mi", she said and tried to pull him out of my room but he stood his ground.