Chaos

It seemed to be a straight shot. If it was a bit brighter I could maybe see what I was moving to. As it was, the murky silhouettes only appeared a few inches from me.

When my hands grabbed forward I could feel obstacles in the way. A smooth piece of metal outstretched to nearly half the length of the tunnel. I held my breath and just barely managed to squeeze around it.

The dog was crawling ahead of me. I wondered if it chose this path because of the relative brightness. I dreaded falling into that darkness that had lay ahead of me a few feet earlier. But this was not a whole lot better.

Another outstretched object lay before me. Even further into the tunnel than before. The dog easily ducked below it. I stopped. Then I looked back.

Behind me was pitch blackness. My eyes must have adjusted to the light a bit because even the outstretched metal pipe was invisible now. I tried to push back a little bit an outstretched piece of metal blocked my foot.

I thought that was farther...

My spatial sense was beginning to fail. My heart was beating fast. I lifted my hand up and felt the ceiling. It was only a foot or so above my head.

Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

It wasn't helping. My leg kicked at the metal pipe as I saw the silhouette of the dog slowly disappear into the darkness ahead of me.

Do it. You can do it. Don't panic.

I was panicking.

Both sides of the tunnel seemed impassable now. Was I running out of oxygen? It definitely felt like it. My ragged breath was becoming even more shallow and panting.

Go. Just go.

I crawled forward, reaching the outstretched object. It appeared to be some kind of fabric. Like the kind they make cheap rugs out of.

Like the seats in the train.

I ducked my head down as far as it would go and dragged it beneath the object. My head squeezed through with a few inches to spare. Ahead of me I could see the source of the light. It was red. A dim red light.

I squeezed my neck through. Next my shoulders. I felt them bump up against the chair.

Go. You can do it. You can fit.

I flattened out even more. I placed my head sideways and tried to surge forwards. Again my shoulders were met with resistance.

I threw my shoulders as close together as I could. Then slowly, ever so slowly my shoulders began to inch through the hole.

Calm. Calm.

CALL FROM TRAIN 7.

The rumbling of the automated words came from all around me, vibrating my entire body. It was loud. Louder than i had ever heard it. It seemed to call from every direction at once.

CALL FROM TRAIN 7.

SHUT UP. SHUT UP. SHUT UP.

CALL FROM TRAIN 7.

My shoulder threw themselves apart as they passed through the gap. I continued to slide forwards.

CALL FROM TRAIN 7.

Not panicking. Not panicking.

CALL FROM TRAIN 7.

I couldn't breathe. I literally and completely couldn't breathe. I felt the fabric jut up against my back. All I could do was struggle forwards.

CALL FROM TRAIN 7.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!" I called out into the darkness.

CALL FROM TRAIN 7.

I couldn't go back. I couldn't see Adam. I went forwards.

CALL FROM TRAIN 7.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

The second noise came from above me. It was just like before. A slamming and falling as if the tunnel was about to collapse again.

I finally freed my feet and crawled faster than I had ever crawled before.

CALL FROM TRAIN 7.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

STOP! JUST STOP!

I saw the dim light ahead of me. I had to get to it. There was dread in my system, knowing what it was. But it was all I could think right now. I crawled forwards.

CALL FROM TRAIN 7.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

Yip! Yip! Yip!

The dog was freaking out ahead of me, adding to the chaos. I had to get to the light. I had to. The tunnel felt like it was smaller than it had ever been. I could feel the ceiling against my hair. I could feel the ground beneath my body. The sides were closing in, scraping against my sides.

The light. All I could see was the light.

CALL FROM TRAIN 7.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

Yip! Yip! Yip! Yip! Yip! Yip!

"HELP!" I screamed out as loud as I could.

Get to the light. Get to the light. Get to the light.

It was getting closer. I could see silhouettes around me. They felt familiar. Too familiar. I felt the cold air of an open space around me. I crawled forwards, towards the light.

"HELP! HELP! HELP! HE-"

CALL FROM TRAIN 7.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

YIP! YIP! YIP! YIP!

With one final push I threw myself out of the tunnel. It was all familiar to me. I knew exactly where I was. The red light shone in front of me, brighter than it ever had before.

CALL FROM TRAIN 7.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

CALL FROM TRAIN-

I slammed my fist onto the button.

"ADAM?" I called into the light.

There was silence. The world had gone still. I waited for an answer. Anything to show me he was on the other side.

BAM! BAM! BA-BOOM!

The loudest noise of my entire life came from above me. I was blinded by light. Someone was calling.

"Hello! We can hear you! Call out!"

"Adam! Help!"

Yip! Yip! Yip!

"Call again!"

"HELP! ADAM HELP!"

Yip! Yip! Yip! Yip!

I couldn't see anything in the light. I just called out to Adam.

The light shone directly in my face.

"Help... Please..."

"Stay right there. We will get you out of here. You're going to be fine. You're going to be okay."

"Okay."

Yip! Yip!

I felt a hand grab me. It was almost as if I was floating upwards. But I wasn't ready.

"Adam! What about Adam? He's still down there! You have to get him! You have to get him! He's still down there. Please!"

The invisible voice called out to me.

"We'll find him. If he's down there we'll find him."