Chapter 2

Soon enough, Herb had been shown around. He was introduced to the two other employees, Vampire and Mint Choco. They seemed pretty okay. Sparkling explained that Vampire loved alcohol but couldn't be a bartender Bc he would sneak drinks and get drunk smh. And that Mint was the only one dating somebody, which was a weird detail but he digressed.

Overall, this seemed like a safe place. Everybody seemed very tight-knit so it wouldn't be long until he was accepted into "the squad." Sparkling brought Herb back to the break room.

It had a bench or two and that was about it. A few shelves for items were the only holders they got. I guess that was because they trusted each other not to steal, which made sense, but Herb was a bit hesitant of the idea.

Sparkling checked his watch with a sigh, "We open in about 10 minutes. You got everything?" Herb nodded his head, "Great. Menus sit at the edge of the bar counter-top and you punch receipts back behind it."

Herb thought to where he saw it, then slowly nodded his head, "Got it." He paused a few moments in thought. He wondered what happened to the previous waiter...

He knew he probably was being nosy, but he asked anyway, "So uhm... What happened to the previous waiter?" He asked, kinda meekly. Sparkling's eyes eyes darted around as he remembered, "Oh, he left to meet his online boyfriend."

Herb was taken aback... the fact Sparkling was so open about somebody being gay at the restaurant. Usually people hid it to not offend workers or customers... but god damn he just came out and said it.

Sparkling raised a brow, "Why did you leave your old job." That caught Herb off-guard. He jumbled his words, "Well... uh. I was— I meant to go to work, just— something happened.." that's all he said, leaving it up to Sparkling's imagination, which he was not fond of.

"Really? 'Something happened?' I'm not accusing you of lying but that's a little suspicious." Herb rubbed the back of his neck, "I hurt myself in a dumb way. I didn't want to tell anyone because I was SO embarrassed." He faked a dramatic tone.

The blonde did not buy into this being the full story, but he didn't dig deeper, as it seemed a bit more personal and such. He had good intuition like that.

Sparkling looked down to his left wrist,starting to go over in his head what happened again

(Flash back thingy...)

"Dear diary,
I'm writing this with my right hand. I've been putting this off for 4 days because I've been in so much pain..."

(Herb POV:)

Today was like any other. I worked at the coffee shop and dealt with tired, cranky customers. Most of them weren't rude so it wasn't a huge deal. I walked home, as per usual, and laid the keys down.

We didn't have many groceries but I had to make something. So I went for a simple soup. I would have bought something but I didn't have any money and Fruitcake wouldn't let me use my card.

I went to the cabinet and got some bow tie noodles out, along with some chicken broth. I went to the fridge and grabbed some celery and carrots.

I placed the items on the countertop and got a knife and cutting board. I pulled out a pot and put it over the stone, turned on the gas. I poured the chicken broth in the pot and dilute it with just a bit of water.

Clink, Clink...—

I heard the front door being unlocked and faced it. I was a bit scared so I backed into a wall. Usually fruitcake never came home this early, so who was it??

Eventually the door swung open as I stood in shock. I was not very relieved to see it was my boyfriend, but at least it wasn't an intruder. He looked very angry, which made me worried.