Chapter 4

Herb cried even after Clover and his boyfriend exited the living room. He cried for so long, however, he tried not to be loud. It was unbearable to be pushed past your limits—to be violated so terribly you had nightmares for weeks.

He was so scared, so traumatized, he couldn't even let himself get up. He was offered the guest bedroom, but Herb decided to stay sitting on the couch for a while.

It wasn't until mere hours into the next morning he finally got up and went to the guest bedroom. He was so exhausted. He was so tired. He was so done with everything. He crawled onto the bed, letting everything relax.

His body felt numb for a moment. He felt nothing. Then his eyes fluttered closed as he fell asleep.

•••

No noise was in the house. Nothing to cause Herb to wake. The only thing that forced him awake was the terrifying memories. They flooded his mind while he slept. The nightmare would be on repeat for many nights after that.

He woke in a small panic. He breathing was unsteady and he was sweating a bit. He looked to the nearest window: bright. What time was it?

Oh fuck.

Hm...

OH FUCK!

Herb frantically searched around the covers, until finally, he found the little electronic for information <3 ... Oh god. At best he would be 2 hours late.

He dropped his phone and went to the door where he left his bag. He dug through for some clothes and pulled out an outfit. He went back to the room and threw on the button up and the khakis. He didn't have time to put a sweater over it so he rocked it like that.

He put on his shoes from yesterday, which didn't really match well, but that was fine. He grabbed his phone before practically racing to the door. He left the house and walked down the side walk. He was basically running though.

•••

The bar doors flung open as a disheveled looking Herb walked in. Sparkling didn't pay much mind, thinking it was just another customer. But he soon noticed the vibrant green hair and stopped in his tracks. He left from behind the bar and paced to Herb.

He didn't take a moment to look into Herb's appearance before questioning him, "What happened?? Why are you late-??" Herb stammered. He couldn't think of much, "I know it doesn't help, but I'm so sorry! Today—last night!, it was all... crazy. I'm.."

Some thoughts went back into Herb's mind. He shuffled away from Sparkling ever-so-slightly. He suddenly felt like he had to vomit. He felt sick. He swallowed a build up of saliva and looked down.

"..So sorry"

Sparkling was taken aback by how he had a demeanor switch. He seemed... nervous. Not like, embarrassed from being late. Nervous as if he had witnessed something traumatic right before his very eyes. He wondered...

"Herb. See me after we close."

Sparkling sounded cold and firm in his tone. Without saying another word he retreated to his bar.

Herb blinked in astonishment as he tried to comprehend the conversation. Was he getting fired? Was he going to be yelled at? What if he still had to work but he wouldn't get paid!!—or, maybe that was illegal...

He grabbed the note pad from the normal location and looked at the few people who sat at tables. He began going up to each, asking them about their day and what they would like. Most grumbled and complained about how the place had been really hectic and they hadn't been served even a drink.