Chapter 6

The car had stopped to a halt as the gear shifted to park. Sparkling turned off the engine and unbuckled himself. He looked over to Herb, who seemed to be examining the outside of his house.

Herb slowly reached his hand around to unbuckle himself. He didn't want to look at Sparkling. He opened the car door with a small thrust, and Sparkling followed suit, thought with a bit of hesitance.

When Herb got out, he shut the door, then started examining again. His head whipped around in every direction as he made sure nobody was around. He was quite scared of being spotted by one of Fruitcake's friends. Or worse: Fruitcake, himself.

A slam sound made Herb practically jump. He turned his head towards the sound, and sighed when he understood it was just Sparkling car door. He fixed his gaze on the concrete beneath him.

Sparkling began slowly walking to his front door as he dug into his pocket for keys. Herb followed behind him and watched as he unlocked the door to his house. Upon walking in, Sparkling kicked off his shoes at the door. Herb decided to copy.

Sparkling let out a small sigh as he threw the keys onto the nearby kitchen countertop, "Sorry. I know it's a bit messy. I wasn't exactly expecting to bring home a co-worker" he chuckled a bit. Herb seemed to somewhat calm down.

Herb gently shut the front door after taking his shoes off and tucking them close to the wall. He walked to the kitchen along with Sparkling. He sat down at a chair, and patted the seat next to him, inviting Herb to join him at the table.

He looked hesitant and nervous, but he sat down anyway. He played with his hands as he obstructed their view on one-another. There was a few moments of silence before Sparkling decided to talk again.

"So, I have a guest bedroom. You could crash there, or the couch. It's, uh, honestly whatever." He was stammering quite a bit. He didn't know what to say, so whatever he thought, just shot out of his mouth.

Herb seemed to nod a bit. It was the first time his talking had really been acknowledged in a while. "I know you're dealing with something, so if you need a day or two off I understand" he smiled softly. Herb seemed a bit shocked, but his facial expression loosened, "..Thank you."

Sparkling was glad Herb finally said something. He scanned around his house for a brief moment before looking back to Herb, "Do you know how long you're going to stay here?" Herb shrugged as he took his phone out of his pocket, placing it on the table.

"I'm not very sure.. sorry." Sparkling waved his hand a bit, "Oh no, it's fine. Don't worry. I'm happy to help any time you need." Herb smiled a bit over what he responded with. He thanked him briefly, "Thanks."

Again, those few terrible moments of silence set in. Sparkling decided to get up and get some drinks. He walked to the fridge and opened it, "Are you okay with wine? Or would you want something else?"

Herb looked up to Sparkling, then rubbed the back of his neck, ".. Oh, I don't like to drink." Herb paused, "Do you have tea or coffee?" He asked softly. Sparkling nodded, "Yeah. I have iced tea, but the coffee would take a few minutes to make."

"Tea then, please."

"Coming right up."

•••

Sparkling came back with the drinks and sat down. Herb happily took his tea, while Sparkling sipped on his wine. Herb sighed deeply, deciding to finally talk on his own for once, "This might be the first time I've actually had a relaxing night after work."