3

3 years later

Louis hurried home from his work at a diner. His boyfriend was in the living room writing his next novel.
"I got a callback! It's one of those low-budget, independent movies, but who cares?"

He rushed to the bedroom to get changed.
"Can you just help me run my lines before I go?" He shouted without getting an answer.

He changed and returned to the living room.
"Okay, what do you think?" He asked his boyfriend and gestured at his outfit.

His boyfriends didn't answer. Instead, he gathered his things.
"What are you doing?" Louis wondered.

"I'm going." His boyfriend declared.

"You don't have to go. I'm going. You have two more hours by yourself here." Louis said.

His boyfriend avoided contact.
"I mean... I'm going. I'm sorry."

His boyfriend walked out of the apartment. Did he just get dumped? Louis couldn't think about that. He had an audition to go to. He hurried to get there in time and was shown to a room with a rigged camera.
"Louis? Stand there and run the lines." The casting director instructed.

"Alexa, please listen to me."

"Martin, let me go."

"It can't end this way, Alexa. Not like this."

"You should have thought about that before."

"Don't turn your back on me, Alexa. You owe me more than that."

"I have nothing left to give, Martin. You have taken it all."

"Ehm, sorry, I lost my place." Louis said.

"Thank you. Louis, it's really good. Just keep in mind how much you love her. So how would that make him feel if she was leaving him?" The casting director asked.

"Desperately unhappy?" Louis suggested.

"Right. Just one more thing. Try and keep in mind that he's a vampire." The casting director said.

Louis stared at him and tried to show his teeth while they redid the scene one more time. It went awful. He wouldn't expect a callback.

He needed some serious quality time with his friends so he called them after the audition and told them that he just got dumped. Liam and Zayn dropped everything and they met up for a walk in the park.
"You're better off." Liam said.

"Of course he's better off." Zayn agreed.

"Who dumps you just before New Year? It's awful." Louis muttered.

"I don't want to say anything while you were still seeing him but it always had to be about him. He's selfish." Liam commented.

"Yeah, you're better off without him." Zayn repeated.

"When it's over, it's over." Louis stated, trying to convince himself.

"Are you still coming tomorrow?" Liam asked.

"He's coming!" Zayn said firmly.

"I can get you a blind date. I know someone." Liam said.

"Not on New Year." Zayn protested.

"Why?" Liam asked.

"Because it's a blind date. No one rolls the dice on New Year." Zayn explained.

"You can't go alone!" Liam said.

"Why not? I'm going alone." Zayn replied.

"Well, that's you." Liam snorted.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Zayn questioned.

"The point is, it's New Year's Eve. Date or no date, you don't spend it alone." Liam answered.

"That is a good point." Louis said.

They finished their walk and Louis already felt better. A boost from his best friends was exactly what he needed. He returned to his apartment. He started to go through his phone list the next morning. There was no way he was spending New Year's Eve alone! Liam was right about that. He called all his old hookups making a complete fool out of himself. No one was interested in going to a party with him. Most of them were in relationships anyway or already had plans. He was getting desperate. Then his eyes landed on one contact on his phone that he had never called. Harry. He hesitated but decided to go for it. He was desperate after all. He called the number of Harry's mum.
"Anne speaking."

"Hi, is Harry there?" Louis asked. This was such a bad idea.

"Just one moment." Harry's mother said and shouted "Harry! Phone!"

"Hello."

"Hello? Harry?" Louis asked.

"This is he." Harry confirmed.

"This is Louis. I don't know if you remember me..." Louis stuttered.

"Dublin Louis?" Harry wondered.

"Hello?" A female voice was heard.

"I got it, Gemma." Harry said.

"I didn't know. Sorry."

Louis tried not to laugh.
"Are you still there?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, yeah." Louis said.

"So, what's up?" Harry asked.

"I was just, I was just wondering. I came across your number all of a sudden and I was thinking to myself, you know, wow, I wonder what Harry is doing, and I know you're probably busy tonight but I was just wondering if you would like to grab a coffee this afternoon?" Louis rambled and sighed at his own desperation.

"Sure." Harry immediately agreed.

"Really?" Louis questioned in surprise.

"When are you getting off the phone? I'm expecting a call!" A female said.

"You have a cellphone!" Harry replied.

"So?" The girl said.

"Get off the phone! Mum, tell her!" Harry shouted and Louis had to put a hand over his mouth so he wouldn't hear him laugh.

"Hello? Are you still there?" Harry asked as soon as Gemma hung up.

"Yeah." Louis giggled.

"Ehm, where are you? I'll come over." Harry said.

"Now?" Louis questioned.

"Yes, why don't I come over?" Harry repeated.

"I'm in London." Louis said.

"Oh, it will take a couple of hours then. I'm in Holmes Chapel but I'll go right now." Harry answered.

"Alright." Louis agreed and gave him his address.

They hung up and Louis spent an hour cleaning his flat before he jumped in the shower. He was a little nervous but excited to see Harry again. Their day in Dublin was one of the best ones he had so far. It was a fond memory. Harry with his long hair and goofy personality. He wondered what he looked like now?