9

1 year later

Harry watched as they took the last of their inventory. Niall clasped a hand on his shoulder.
"Well, no one can say we didn't try, right?"

They tried, and they failed miserably. It turned out people wanted to buy their own diapers in stores.
"This was fun. Give me a call when you're in Ireland the next time. Bye Harry." Niall smiled.

"Of course. Bye Niall." Harry said.

He packed the last of his belongings and took a flight back to England. He had no reason to live in Scotland anymore. He couldn't afford it anyhow. He moved back to his mum until he could come up with a new plan. He was miserable. His mum was hovering, trying to comfort him. He needed some time to breathe and figure stuff out so he called his uncle who was living in London and asked if he could come for a visit for a couple of days. His uncle immediately agreed. Harry took the car and drove to London. His uncle was happy to see him.

Harry decided to go for a walk in the city. He walked past a small gallery and a photo caught his attention. He stepped inside and looked at the photos on the wall. He gasped at a picture of him and Louis, naked, under the moon. These were Louis' pictures! He thought they looked familiar. He was happy for him, and proud. He had managed to push the thoughts of Louis to the side when he buried himself in work. Louis, the one who got away. The biggest mistake in his life. Maybe it wasn't too late? He decided to be spontaneous for once in his life.

He had brought his guitar with him. He had learned how to play it after the first time he met Louis in Dublin. He hoped that Louis was still living in the same apartment, otherwise this would be embarrassing. He didn't give himself time to think. Instead, he drove over, grabbed the guitar, and got situated outside Louis' apartment door. He started to play a Bon Jovi song. It felt suitable. Louis came outside so Harry started to sing.
I guess this time you're really leaving
I heard your suitcase say goodbye

Louis looked shocked.
"I..."

Harry stopped playing and held up a hand.
"Please don't say anything, because I'll lose my nerve."

He started playing the song from the beginning once more. Louis kept quiet.

I guess this time you're really leaving
I heard your suitcase say goodbye
Well, as my broken heart lies bleeding
You say true love, it's suicide
You say you've cried a thousand rivers
And now you're swimming for the shore
You left me drowning in my tears
And you won't save me anymore
I'm praying to God you'll give me one more chance, boy

I'll be there for you
These five words I swear to you
When you breathe, I wanna be the air for you
I'll be there for you
I'd live and I'd die for you
I'd steal the sun from the sky for you
Words can't say what love can do
I'll be there for you

Louis' neighbors had come out to see what the fuzz was about so Harry stopped singing, while he still had the courage to speak his mind.
"I know you like Bon Jovi."

"I don't." Louis smiled.

Harry took a deep breath.
"Louis, I'm flat broke. I don't have a job. I don't have a plan. And I know I'm... I know I'm probably six years too late... but will you give me strike one back?"

Louis bit his lower lip. Harry understood.
"You're married." He stated with a sad smile.

"Engaged." Louis said.

Harry fought the tears that threatened to spill over. He was too late.

"Alright."

"Do you wanna come in for a while?" Louis asked softly.

"No. I need the air." Harry said.

"Okay, I'm just gonna get the baby." Louis smiled.

Harry looked destroyed for a second so Louis hurried to explain.
"I'm babysitting for Liam."

"Oh." Harry smiled relieved.

"You sounded really good." Louis smiled before he headed inside.

Harry's legs gave up and he sat down on the curve. Louis returned with a cute baby in his arms. Harry smiled and stood up.
"I'm gonna go. I guess when I'm an old man, I'll never have to wonder, What if?"

"I'm sorry, Harry." Louis said compassionate and gave him a hug.

Harry breathed in Louis' scent one last time before he let go and walked away with a heavy heart and teary eyes.