Twenty one - Snow storm

The snow whirled and swirled outside, hitting the window whenever it came in its way. The wind was getting stronger and the temperature was well below zero.

"Good that dad decided to come home early," Jasmine said as she stood by her bedroom window. "You don't want to be outside tonight."

I nodded and looked up at the window from where I sat on Jasmine's fluffy carpet. I guess I'll be staying over tonight, I thought to myself. It wouldn't be a problem, seeing as I'd slept at Jasmine's more times than I could remember. But now, the knowledge of April sleeping down the hall, gave me a feeling of unease in my stomach.

"So what do you wanna do now?" Jasmine asked and returned to the floor.

"I don't know," I said and looked around the room. Jasmine had lived in this house and in this room her whole life. The room was big, bigger than most people's rooms and definitely bigger than mine. It was placed at a corner, with a window each in both directions. The walls were painted white and the furniture and decor were minimalistic in white, rose gold and black. Against the wall to the right from the door, stood a queen sized bed under the window; opposite the door stood her desk, and a puffy seat in the corner; wardrobes covered the wall opposite the bed; and on either side of the door, stood a bookshelf, housing her course literature, her own book collection and a few frames with pictures of her family.

"We could watch another movie," Jasmine suggested and twirled her fingers into the threads of the carpet.

"Or, we could bake something," I suggested. "If we have the ingredients," I added.

"That's an idea," Jasmine thought. "We could bake brownies, I think we have all the ingredients needed."

I agreed and was in the motion of standing up, when the lights flickered.

"Uh, do you think it's risk for blackout?" I asked anxiously.

"I don't know," Jasmine said, but as she was mid-sentence, the lights flickered again, and then, black.

"So, I guess baking is off the table," I chuckled and took out my phone to start the flashlight.

"And the movie too," Jasmine said and mimicked me.

We looked outside and saw only the reflection of the light from our phones; all the streetlights and every house in sight were dark. We walked out into the corridor and were met by Jasmine's brothers, who didn't have phones of their own, so they were grateful to see our light. The four of us walked downstairs to the kitchen, where April was rummaging in a cupboard, looking for candles. She had already lit the ones on the table, which illuminated the room in a patchy way. Footsteps behind us gave evidence of Henry having found his way downstairs, he too holding his phone with the flashlight turned on.

"Would you please light the fireplace," April told Henry. "It gets cold quickly when it's cold outside. Thank goodness that we have a fireplace, what will the neighbours that don't have one do?"

Sweet April, always worrying about others than herself.

"They only have themselves to blame for not having one," Henry muttered under his breath as he went into the living room. I shot an angry look at him, but decided to not let him drag my mood down.

"Do you need any help?" I offered as April had moved on to another cupboard.

"Oh, thank you, Liv," April smiled at me. "Yes, you can take these into the living room and light them in there. And," she added, pulling out yet another candle, "you can go find more blankets. Take the ones from the cinema and from the kids' rooms, and we also have a few extra in our bedroom closet, at the top to the left."