Chapter 18

James groaned when he gained conscious and blinked his eyes trying to adjust to the bright light. Where am I? He thought looking around and all he can see was blur. My glasses, he thought and someone placed them on his face at the moment.

"Thanks." His voice was raspy and the person placed a glass near his lips and he drank fastly feeling thirsty all of a sudden and choked slightly. The person patted his back lightly making him sit up on the bed.

"Severus?" James looked at him surprised and then at his surroundings. Why is he in the hospital wing? What's going on? He felt a pain in his ribs when he tried to move and winced.

"Careful." Severus said helping him to sit back and rest. "What do you remember last?"

"Uh-" James thought about what happened and remembered talking to Peter when suddenly everything went black. "Peter."

"Yes, he was the one who did this to you." Severus grumbled in anger.

"What?" James looked at him confused.

"Lily gave you a poison and Peter broke your rib." Severus said bluntly not wanting to lie. James' eyes widened.

"Poison?" James gasped and winced again at the sharp pain in his ribs.

"James, you have to calm down and listen to me." Severus said placing his hand on James' shoulder. "I'm trying to find out what she gave to you and I have two weeks to prepare the antidote. Don't worry. I won't let anything happen to you. I swear James. Nothing is going to happen to you."

"Why?" James asked him.

"What why?" Severus looked at him confused.

"Why are you doing this? I bullied you so bad all these years. I humiliated you so much in front of everyone." James said to him.

"I forgot about the past and you should too. You are the one who said to not dwell on the past and yet here look at you, feeling bad about it. I deserved it, not all of it, but most of it and I don't blame you." Severus said to him.

"I'm sorry." James said and Severus sighed and pulled him into a hug.

"Me too." Severus said and James sniffled lightly pulling away and wiping his tears away.

"I don't know why I'm feeling so emotional suddenly." James said and Severus noted it down for his search.

"You just woke up. Now, you have to take some potions and I need some of your blood for some tests." Severus said and James nodded and did as he was told.

"What does it do?" James asked and Severus knew without saying what he was asking about.

"Slow and painful death." Severus said not going into details as he can see James was already afraid.

"Am I going to die?" James asked looking at the wall blankly as Severus took his blood for tests.

"No!" Severus exclaimed making James jump slightly. "I won't let you die. I would kill those two bastards and give their life to you, if it is needed."

James just stayed silent not knowing what to say, he is in shock idiot, his mind supplied to him. You can't leave him alone and go to the lab and check his blood. What if he does something to himself? Severus shook his head and looked at the blank look on James' face.

"Should I call Black while I go and check your blood?" Severus asked him and James shook his head. "He might be sleeping as it is quite late."

"I don't want to tell anyone. They would be worried about me. Please, don't tell anyone." James requested and Severus nodded.