september 25, 1989

WEAR YELLOW TO SAY "NO" TO DRUGS
read a poster at the front gate of the school. it was the week before the week before homecoming, my least favorite. like the week of valentine's day, it was only a reminder of how no one has ever asked me out. and most likely will never. the week prior to homecoming also meant spirit week. though, as the poster displayed, pinole high's spirit weeks are really fucking lame.

"shit, rose, look at your shirt!" angelina sighed, talking about her blondie short with yellow font. "people are gonna think you're some d.a.r.e program nerd."

"oh please," i put my arm around my rose. "if anyone knows anything about her they'll know she's the complete opposite."

"yeah even 7th grade me didn't sign up for d.a.r.e cause i knew i was gonna be a junkie someday." she pressed.

"don't think like that!" angelina hated when rose got down on herself.

homeroom came and passed, and now i was moving onto first period. i walked into the class and saw my table mate, mike. well he was more than just a table mate now, but that is what he was. i realized then i was kind of dreading seeing him. what angelina said friday night had stuck with me. though i thought it was bullshit, i couldn't help but wonder if mike really did like me.

"hey" he greeted as i sat down.

"what's up?" i responded, pulling out my notebook.

"nothing much. my first homecoming here is coming soon though."

i nodded, "that's very true. you got your eyes on any girls you wanna ask out?" maybe i was actually curious, and maybe i just wanted to see if he had a crush on me.

"oh i dunno. maybe one but i'm not sure if i'll even go." he sighed. "any guys ask you out yet?"

"nah. in the past, what, 2 years i've been able to experience a school dance i've never been asked out."

"hm."

i guess the guys actually wanted to try out pe today, since they were waiting in the gym when i got there.
tre, who i came to know as a hyper-active puppy, waved aggressively at me once he saw me. i waved back, holding onto the straps of my backpack.

"soooo, what's the deal? what do we do today?" tre asked, not letting billie or mike say anything.

"well, we do some stretches and the teacher calls attendance, then we're dismissed. wanna smoke again?"

all 3 said yes, and once we were marked present we went to the back of the building and lit up. we smoked in silence for a moment, but the awkwardness was building up and i didn't like it. the four of us were looking around silently until- "so what do we talk about?" asked billie.

"dunno." i answered. "you guys going to homecoming next saturday? well i already know mike's answer, but what about you, billie and tre?"

"ooo mikey do you have a girl you're interested in?" tre joked, and billie playfully punched him in the shoulder.

mike chuckled. "well, i may have a girl in mind but i don't even know if i'm gonna go."

"oh mikey you gotta ask her out!" billie exclaimed. "you've gotta make a grand gesture out of it y'know? get on the table in the cafeteria, pull down your pants an-"

"woahhhhhkayyy! alright i think that's enough! billie!" mike said, attempting to put his hand on billies mouth."

billie, licking his hand, continued. "no, no! hear me out okay! you do a helicopter and say 'i love you my fair lady you go to homecoming with me and this is all yours!'" he pointed downwards, and i burst out laughing, as we all were.