Chapter 33: Amidst the Wolves

{Progress has always been built upon the graves of its people. It is how kingdoms rise, how Empires flourish, how innovation makes the lives of those left that much easier. I cannot state on the methods of the Middenites, but the advancement they've made in stone and metal are second to none. To lose such knowledge would be a detriment to the Cont as a whole. Enough to slide our world back into the dark ages, maybe. }

-Minis Tyres, an excerpt from, "The Age after Antiquity."

"So, I can understand the need to use me as bait," Libro said.

"Right," Rhune nodded.

"And I can understand the need to tie my hands behind my back."

"Yes, yes. And?"

"But tell me again why the bag is necessary?"

"It's all about the act. How you present yourself. If you look the part of the defeated Captain, then they'll more so believe you. Now, close your mouth real quick so you don't suffocate."

Elba had to admit that despite the humiliation, Libro took to his task quite well. Zeek pulled the sack over his head, making delicately sure not to hurt him.

"I can't see a damn thing in here," he muttered begrudgingly.

"That's why we'll have Elba here to lead you. She'll keep you on the path," Rhune said.

"And why does she get to be disguised? Wouldn't it be better if she were the prisoner instead? She's more fearsome looking anyway."

"Because," Rhune stated, already growing frustrated from Libro's complaining. "Every Middenite with half a brain knows the Vangen's crippled Captain. Your little stunt with the city's outer wall has made you quite famous. No one here knows Elba even exists. Also ,having you hobble around with a captive nearly a head taller than you would be down right suspicious."

"They have a point," Elba muttered into Libro's ear, or what she thought was his ear. Hard to tell under all that sack.

"Yeah, yeah. You're just eating this up, aren't you?"

Elba smiled slyly as she reached down to cup Libro's bottom, the muscles in his ass clenching almost immediately. "I have to say there's something tantalizing about you all tied up and at my mercy, but we'll save that thought for another day." Even through the canvas bag, she could tell the young Captain was blushing.

"By the way, where did you get this scar on your hand?" she asked as she traced the puckered flesh in the center of his open palm. "I've always wondered."

"Culter stabbed me." a moment of muffled silence. "It's a long story."

"Seems a night for it, at least."

"Hush up you two. We're almost there." Rhune held a finger to their lips, nodding over at the building just around the corner. Even in the thinning darkness, the great tower of the Crucible was hard to miss. It loomed over the rest of the shanties, its walls stacked high as was described; brick by ugly brick. It was shaped like a horseshoe, two wings jutting out from either side of the main building, the tower in the center rising like a nail towards the sky. Watchtowers bloomed from the corners, but it was too dark to see if anyone stood guard inside.

"Towers," Elba mumbled. "Why is it always bloody towers with these people?"

"I said hush up," Rhune hissed. "One slip up and this whole fething operation is done for."

"Got it." Elba pulled up the chain mask around her helmet, hiding her features. She was dressed like the rest of the Chainbreakers, each disguised as house guards to this so-called Lady Denbar, the noblewoman charged as Warden to the Crucible. They were dressed in an odd fashion, the painting of their clothes slashed down the middle so that one half was the color of daffodils, the other plums, but their armor on the other hand was of a different calibur. Polished Star Steel gleamed back at her from the shining breastplate of each guard, with similar weapons to boot. No doubt Rhune's rebels were outfitted with the very best, but at what cost she could not say.