Chapter 57: Serenity

It was a quiet morning this time. Elba woke to a soundless tent, time frozen in perpetual early dawn. She lay there amidst a heap of blankets, an actual pillow gracing the back of her neck. A luxury she could barely fathom. She felt warm and safe, and to her surprise a hand groping her waist.

She peeled back the blanket. Nestled against her was none other than the infamous Captain of the Vangen Royal Guard, cheek wedged against her stomach as he snored through a dream. With a delicate hand she preened a piece of his curly hair back and he gave the slightest smile.

She felt her heart skip a beat out of reflex. It was strange, being in love. For so long she'd coveted it, as much as she'd coveted her own people's approval. And now, at least, she had one of them. Somehow through all the scars and grit, he'd still found her beautiful. Beautiful enough to want her, to desire her, to be with her. And she'd felt the same.

Enough to see past his leg, at least. Libro would never be a warrior in their time together, but maybe that was for the best. She'd loved a warrior once and look where that had gotten her. She wasn't angry anymore about the whole situation. The truth was she felt free in a sense. Sigismund was happy in his own way, and as his best friend she had a duty to keep him that way. Once the war was over she could finally reconcile with him. Patch things up. Go back to the good old days.

The blankets stirred. Libro's head poked out from beneath the sheets. "Morning," he said, groggy eyes blinking away sleep.

"Good morning." Elba put a little purr into her voice, leaning over to kiss him. "You had quite the dream last night."

He smacked his lips and grimaced. "Was it a good one?"

"The best, really. You were rallying your men in some charge. Kept bellowing about a standard." She mimed swinging a spear around. "Real heroic stuff."

"You sure?" His brows beetled ever so slightly. "Doesn't really sound like me."

"Oh, trust me. I was there." She smiled and kissed him again, reality nagging at the back of her mind. Truth was he'd been whimpering in his sleep again. Muttering about some woman. Constantly apologizing to her. He'd been doing that a lot, she realized. Sometimes he'd beg for his life, other times his breathing would quicken, like he was running for his life. She didn't know what to say about that. Didn't know if she should even tell him, but the moment was nice and she wanted to keep him smiling.

"I...I have a confession to make." Libro nestled into Elba's arms, cheek pressed against her chest, head rising and falling in motion with her breathing.

"My, my. The Captain of the Vangen spilling his secrets to me? One can only wonder how many you've hidden inside." She tapped him on the nose. She liked teasing him. Felt right. And judging by the color in his cheeks, he liked it too.

"I...I really like spending time with you." He looked away for the briefest second, guilt flashing in his eyes like he'd said something wrong. He was strange like that. At times he was brave and stalwart. A natural leader. And yet there were other times when he'd simply deflate, courage leaking out of him like a punctured wineskin.

It reminded her a little too much of herself. "I must admit I do as well. These past three weeks have been simply divine. If only it could last forever."

A look came over Libro, a stern narrowing of his gaze that Elba knew all too well. She'd seen it before in her father when the conversation shifted. Seemed her quiet morning was over. Back to business, then. "We're still nowhere near close getting inside Ferris Keep, and with the Jotuns congregating in the courtyard we might never get through."

"It will be hard," Elba acquiesced. "Has your albino friend found an alternative yet?"

"Culter? No." Libro shook his head. "With Mount Calisto at the keep's back, it's made finding a way inside rather difficult. So far the main gate has proven to be the only way in or out." He puffed his cheeks in exasperation. "And that will be a nightmare all on its own. Especially since they've raised the drawbridge to keep the Jotuns out." A look of dread came over him as he stared up at the ceiling. "Oh, goddess! And spring is nearly upon us. The Empress will have my head if I don't see this done soon."