Chapter 52: Rampage

"Awaken, child! We are almost near!"

Brand's eyes flickered open. He was flying. No, he was being carried. His hands were gripping tight around Beslog's furry shoulder, scorching wind whipping past his ears. They were running through a cave system, familiar smooth black glass encompassing the narrow tunnel.

"Have you come too, child?" Beslog's glowing eyes studied him past her tangled heap of wiry hair.

"I am. How far are we?"

"Through the last of the cave homes we have crossed. The forge fires beckon us further."

Brand felt his grip around the Jotun's shoulder tighten. Despite the growing pain in his stomach, he was starting to feel the fear creep back into him. Anger alone would no bet enough to keep his fire stoked. He needed more. Needed something else. But what?"

The sound of pounding feet doubled as another Jotun appeared beside Beslog. "Mah!"

"My son. It is good to finally see you free of your chains."

"I feel the fire in me once more! It course through my veins! Made me whole again!" The other Jotun glared up at Brand, suspicious eyes aglow with his mother's intensity. "But how? Where? The answer eludes me."

"The forge's rekindling can come from the most unlikely of places. You just have to look for them." Beslog reassured Brand with a gentle pat of her hand as they continued down the corridor. More of Beslog's children joined her as they passed the last of the cave homes, the air shimmering around them as the heat slowly began to rise.

"We are nearing the Mother of Forges. Cover your eyes, child. The change will be very blinding." Brand obeyed but even through the tiny cracks in his fingers he could feel the light burning into his retinas. There was a flash and he gasped, felt the cold air in his lungs get snatched away, parching his throat in an instant.

"We are here!" Beslog cried. Brand dared to take a peek, the corners of his eyes stinging with tears as the Mother of Forges opened up before him. It was like a Stelecaster's twisted dream. Great motes of magma poured out from chiseled stone spouts, their intense heat used to light the massive forges that stood like ziggurats towering above even the largest of Jotuns.

Atop the highest one, what first appeared as a mound of scaly metal slowly transformed into a creature, massive metal wings wrapped arounds its body, long neck terminating at a pointed head, tail curled around its massive form.

"What is that?" he breathed, mind whirling at the possibilities. The gargantuan creature practically radiated with magick, pouring from a metal body that must have taken years in the making. He was alerted by a constant tremor in the air, only to realize it was the monster's heartbeat calling back to him.

"A thing made of metal and flesh. A beast from the far, frozen north taken prisoner and made into a monstrosity." Beslog shook her head. "Leave it for now, child. We have more important matters to attend too."

Brand turned away, seeing more of Beslog's children pouring out of the caves, leaping over the canopies ahead, climbing atop forges for a better view. Beslog crested over a hill, a massive stone plaza opening up before them. Human soldiers stood with their backs against each other, shields up and weapons out. Their coats were trimmed with black and gold and he realized who they were in an instant. None other than Raylein's personal house guard.

"Honey-blacks!" Beslog hissed, her motherly voice taking on that familiar feral growl.

Brand felt no hesitation as he lifted up a finger. "Kill them!"

"Kill them all!" Beslog roared in unison, her fury reaching into the souls of her children. The closest Jotun roared, charging at the soldiers with reckless abandon, crashing into them like a ship tossed against the rocks. The first man barely had a chance to swing his sword before he was batted aside like a child's toy, the one beside him crushed underfoot. By then the second and third Jotun had joined the fray and it was already over. Brand forced himself to look away as the screaming rose into a crescendo.