𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓣𝔀𝓮𝓷𝓽𝔂 𝓢𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷

Coruscant was unlike anything Caroline had ever known on her home world of Atla

Coruscant was unlike anything Caroline had ever known on her home world of Atla. The whole planet seemed to be one bustling city. The loud buzzing of speeders going by and the constant chatter of people made most distracting until finally she, her sister, and senator Amidala stepped inside the senate building. "The senate will be ready to hear from you in the next day or so." Padme informed them as they walked. "Why not now?" Courtney questioned. "The senate has a lot of important matters presidenting your new alliance, I'm afraid. These matters must be taken care of first before we can address the topic of your alliance." Courtney and Caroline shared a look before turning back to the senator. "In the meantime you will be given temporary quarters in the senate building." Padme added as she led the girls to two rooms for them to stay. "I will return to you both with news of your senate hearing." She added with a polite bow of her head before strutting off to attend other matters.

The first day of their visit went by swiftly, it wasn't until the third day that Padme had finally delivered information on their senate hearing. "The senate will hear from you and your sister tomorrow morning." Padme said as she had tea with the queen in her own office. She had invited her to her own quarters to discuss senatorial matters while Courtney tended to her studies which she was missing out on while being away from home. "Tomorrow morning." Caroline repeated her words with a nod. "At last." Padme offered her a polite grin in response. "Do you think the senate will approve our request of an alliance?" Caroline asked as she stirred her tea after sprinkling a bit of sugar in to the warm liquid. "Of course I do." Padme replied. "I don't think you have anything to worry about concerning the senate." She added and Caroline nodded. "I should hope not." She replied. "I hope this journey will only take a few days and nothing more. I would certainly like to return to my people as soon as possible."

After discussions with Padme ceased, Caroline returned to her own quarters assigned to her for the duration of her trip. She began to prepare for rest, untying the tight corset around her waist and letting it fall to the floor. She removed her many skirts and gowns and dawned her silk nightgown instead which was a soft white compared to her golden yellow formal gowns. The second she put the garment on however, she heard a knock at her door. The cautious queen went to open it and then the air was sucked from her lungs. "Rex?" She asked and then she noticed the expression on his face. "What- What happened?" She asked urgently. The man she once knew as the strong and heroic captain of the 501st now looked like a man stricken by grief and suffering. There were bags under his red eyes that seemed sore and bloodshot from vicious sobs. His skin even seemed to have a pallor to it. His eyes were glued to the floor but when she spoke he looked up at her for a mere moment. "Umbara." Was all he said before his tired eyes returned to gazing at the ground. "May I come in?" He asked and Caroline nodded. "Of course." She added as she stepped back so he could enter, the door closing behind him. "I lost so many men." The captain said as he sat on the edge of her bed and put his head in his hands. He would have cried, he would have been more vulnerable around her, but he was so tired that he was unable to show any more emotions then he was now. The captain was a shell of a man, scared by the death and loss of war. Caroline sat at his side. "Rex I'm so sorry." Was all she could say. She didn't try to make it right, she couldn't. There was nothing she could say or do to offer the man peace and she knew that. Instead, she listened. She listened to him spill all the horrors that he had witnessed. She let him cry to her and in return she held him. She wrapped her arms around him in a soft and sweet hug while the captain grieved his great loss.