chapter 9

Natasha's P.O.V

We all sat in silence in the living room at the avengers compound trying to comprehend what Steve had just said.

He'd just told us that the guy with the metal arm was his best friend from over 70 years ago who, during the war, Steve watched, fall of a train into a canyon.

"are you sure it was him? Whoever these people work for could just be trying to mess with our heads?" Tony said, rubbing his face stressfully.

"It was definitely him. I'd know his face anywhere" at the end Steve looked towards the ground sadly.

Tony pulled up the footage he had recorded in his suit from the fight and paused when 'Bucky' looked up.

Everyone took in his face, he had a sort of rounded face-shape, scruffy, long hair and a small amount of scars running along his left cheek. He was also rather good looking but I didn't dare say that out loud because I was thinking that about a 100 year old man, GROSS.

Steve nodded "definitely him"

"what are we gonna do about it? They killed Fury and god knows they're gonna stop with him." I said, a little worried that the other avengers might turn on Steve and kill Bucky.

"Well, we can't kill him," Steve said.

Thankfully they all nodded.

"wait." Tony put his hands up and everyone looked at him. "If he really is Bucky, why didn't he know you or even his name?"

Everyone looked a little guiltily towards Steve.

I thought hard for a moment on what would be a reasonable explanation to support Steve.

That's when it hit me. The memories. The horror.

I never endured it myself because I made sure I behaved but I had seen other girls get turned into complete puppets when I was in the red-room.

"He's brainwashed" I blurted out and everyone looked at me like I was insane. "I've seen my fair share of it, trust me, it's a thing"

"Well, that makes things a little more complicated but also a tiny bit easier at the same time." Tony said immediately while doing something on a nearby screen.

We were silent as we waited for Tony to explain a little further.

"Alright, I just contacted Stephen and he's happy to help, I'll contact Wakanda and see if we can get Shuri in. But first we'll have to get this guy in a stable condition, so I'll factor a tranquilizer that should shut him out for a week." Tony stated his plan like it was the most simple thing in the world.

"What about the other guy?" I asked, feeling slightly angry that I even cared because of what he did to my hand.

"What about him?" Clint asked.

"We can't rescue Bucky and just leave him. He's also under the influence of the torture, most likely. No one should have to go through that. Not even an assassin. He might be like Bucky. But I don't think I could live with myself if we just left him, he looks way too young." I say and I can feel tears welling up as the memory floods into my mind.

- Flashback

"Hello Miss Romanoff, how are you today?" a man in a white lab coat asks me.

I don't respond and he pushes a button that sends a volt of electricity into my wrist.

"The Boss told me to deliver some news," he said, keeping his tone playful and teasing. "about your brother, Peter."

At this I shot my head up and ran at him, sending him to the ground and I stood on his throat.