2

TW: abuse and mentions of sexual assault

Two

"How dare you disrespect your mother," I felt a force push me down. I gasped for breath, but was kicked  in the stomach before I could catch that breath. My body gave out as I accepted the hits and insults, knowing I couldn't do anything. I never could do anything, I was just stuck and weak. It finally ended, and I heard my father walking off angrily. I laid there for a moment until I got up and winced in pain. Slowly, I made my way up to mine and Alex's room. When I entered the room, Alex was sitting on our bed, innocently playing with his toy truck.

"Are you ok?" he asked and I nodded. I couldn't be honest with him, he's five. I couldn't admit that I could barely breathe and that my head was pounding in pain.

"I'm ok," I promised as I collapsed on the bed next to him.

"You're hurt," Alex frowned.

"I'm ok," I repeated. Alex kissed my cheek and then laid down next to me. I lightly smiled and kissed the top of his head as he laid next to my shoulder that wasn't hurt. My knee was killing me, I have never been in more pain, but also my whole body hurt. Anytime I breathed I was in pain, and my head was spinning and pounding. I finally felt my body relax as I fell asleep with Alex next to me.

The morning rolled around and I got up first, then headed downstairs to make breakfast. Downstairs was my mother, already starting to drink, "there is a party Saturday, and you will be attending," I hated my parents' parties. There were drugs, alcohol, smoking, and a lot of sexual activities. I was normally part of those activities, not willingly.

"What about Alex?"

"He will be staying in your room," she finally looked up. "You're fifteen now, you need to start acting like it,"

"What do you mean?" I questioned, feeling my heart race.

"You need to be grateful that you have those opportunities with our friends," her mother said, which caught me off guard. I felt my heart beginning to pound as she continued. "When I was your age I was pleasing men left and right, you need to do the same,"

"They're older than me," I spoke, "it makes me uncomfortable,"

"They should be older than you," her mother chuckled, standing up and walking over to me. She stroked my cheek and I looked away.

"We have a doctor appointment with Luke today," I said as I closed my eyes.

"Damn it, Mackenzie, I told you," she pushed me lightly, making me almost fall over from my knee and cry out in pain. "Shit, what happened?,"

"Dad hurt it yesterday, it's bruised,"

"Well you're useless without it," my mother rolled her eyes "Get it fixed at the appointment today and wear long pants," I went back upstairs and saw Alex awake.

"Morning buddy," I smiled, putting everything behind me. "We have to go to the doctor today,"

"What was mommy saying?"

"Nothing you have to worry about, baby," I smiled at him as I sat down. Alex crawled into my lap and I held him, though I was in a lot of pain. It didn't matter to me, Alex was upset and I just wanted him to feel loved. "Are you ok, buddy?"

"Scared,"

"About what?"

"Mom and dad,"

"You don't need to be scared, I'm going to protect you, you know that," I reminded him.

"But what about you?"

"I'm ok," I kissed the top of his head. I felt tears fill her eyes as I continued to hug him, "I promise," No matter how many times I said that, I never felt it. There was a constant weight on my shoulder. Anything I did or said was used against me so our father could get his anger out, and I would never let him lay a finger on Alex. It didn't matter what I had to do to protect him, I would do it.

"Come on bud, we need to get ready," I kissed the top of my brother's head.