24

Twenty Four

I sat at the island in the morning drinking a cup of coffee as I scrolled through my phone. I was the first one awake, but that didn;t last long when I heard people coming down. "You're up early," I looked over and saw Luke coming down.

"Usually am,"

"Not this early," he chuckled and kissed the top of my head. "Couldn;t sleep?"

"Slept too much," I corrected.

"That's right, you fell asleep around eight," he recalled and I nodded. "Would you like to go out with me and my mom for breakfast?" he questioned. I paused for a second and looked away.

"I don't want to intrude,"

"You won't be, we would love for you to join," Luke promised. "It's your decision, and if you don't want to go I completely understand and respect that," I sat for a minute thinking, but then nodded in agreement.

"I'll go,"

"Really?" Luke smiled and I nodded. He grinned happily, "Well go ahead and get ready, we're leaving soon,"

"Can I wear one of your sweatshirts?" I asked.

"Go ahead," he nodded. I got up and went upstairs to his room. I grabbed his royal blue crewneck, then went into my room and changed into that and a pair of black leggings along with my white air force 1's. I went back down and saw Luke and Liz at the island talking, but their attention turned to me when I came down.

"Ready?" Luke asked and I nodded. We piled into his car and he drove to a diner, then we sat at a booth. I sat next to Luke and picked at my nails while the two talked. Liz talked about their family at home, Luke talked about his work here, and I sat quietly listening.

"What grade are you in, Kenzie?" Liz asked after we ordered our food.

"10," I answered.

"Do you like it?"

"Yeah, I like school," I shrugged.

"We'll have to get you into a new school," Luke said and I nodded. I did miss school honestly. I didn't like my old school, but I enjoyed some of the classes at times. I wanted to go back and be able to make friends, have them over at my house, and not be afraid to be around people.

"I'm glad you enjoy school, Luke did not," Liz chuckled.

"School was boring," Luke rolled his eyes, making me giggle.

"I had to drag you to school,"

"Not drag, just force me to go," Luke corrected.

"I never got to have close friends in school," I admitted, "so I'm nervous to make friends,"

Before Luke could say anything, Liz had beat him to it, "You are going to make so many friends, and have so much fun. And when you make those friends you can have them over, hang out with them outside of school, and have an amazing group of people to trust," she explained and I smiled. "And whoever doesn't want to be friends with you is insane," she added, making me lightly giggle.

"Thanks Liz," I thanked her.