12

Twelve

"Kenzie feeling better?" I asked Michael after we got everything in.

"As good as she can get," he shrugged, "she's more calm now,"

"Thanks for staying with her," I lightly smiled.

"Not a problem," Michael said. I went up to the guest room and saw Kenzie awake, watching TV and drinking a gatorade.

"Hey sweet girl," I smiled and she looked over.

"Hi," she quietly responded.

"Can I sit?" I asked and she nodded, scooting over and giving me room to sit. I knew she didn't want to talk about herself, so I changed the topic. "We took Alex out to get some new stuff," I said and she looked over at me in shock.

"You didn't-"

"We wanted to," I reassured her.

"Can I pay you back?"

"No, please don't," I quickly said. "We're taking you out as well to get stuff, you deserve it," she sighed, but nodded knowing I wasn't going to budge. "We got dinner as well, do you want to go down and eat?" I questioned and she nodded. We both went downstairs where the food was being separated.

"Kenzie," Alex cheered and rushed over. Kenzie quickly picked him up and he gave her a kiss on the cheek. She smiled and gave him a kiss on the cheek back, then we all sat around the table listening to Alex blabber about his day. Did we all live through it? Yes, but he was excited so it didn't matter. But once dinner was over, I decided to break the news to Alex.

"Alex, how would you like to get some stuff for your room this week?" I suggested, acting very excited. "You and Kenzie can each have your own room and have your own things in there," I explained. Everyone else acted surprised and happy, except Alex who was upset.

"I wanna be with Kenzie," he frowned and looked at her.

"You'll still be with me, we'll just have our own rooms," Kenzie explained. "So you'll have a room with your own stuff and I'll have a room with my own stuff,"

"But I wanna share with you," his eyes started to fill with tears.

"You can still always stay with her whenever she says so, but we want to give you guys your own space as well," Michael added.

"Alex, we can also get you a race car bed," Calum added.

"Really?" Alex asked as Kenzie wiped the tears on his cheeks.

"Yeah," Ashton smiled. That seemed to help Alex's mood, which didn't surprise me. Bribery, it always worked with kids. Once dinner was over, we all went to the living room and helped Alex open whatever he wanted. Calum and Kenzie were playing a game with ALex while Michael, Ashton and I opened the rest of Alex's toys, washed his clothes and room stuff, and got everything set up for him. And for the first time since she's been here, I heard Kenzie genuinely laughing and having fun like she should have always been.