Chapter 22

It was two weeks before Draco had heard from Mr. Jones again. Within that time, Draco had truly been living his best life with Harry. Harry had taken him to all of his favorite places that were nearby, created space in his art studio for Draco to work on his own artwork, and they had looked at countless flats. They were in the midst of making a decision on which one they preferred when Draco's phone rang.

"It's my father", Draco said quietly. "Should- should I answer it?"

"I'll answer it if you want."

"No, he'll think I'm a coward."

Harry grabbed Draco's hand for support as he answered the phone.

"Did I forget to return some property of yours? ... What on earth for? ... Well, yes but... Absolutely not... Why should I?... Draw it up then... Of course you already have it drawn up... Fine... No, Harry will be coming with you or no deal... We'll be there in an hour... Goodbye."

"Is everything alright love?"

"He wants to give me my job back. Wouldn't say why over the phone, but I heard Mr. Jones in the background encouraging me to go. My father has drawn up some sort of legal contract already, I don't know what for, but I'm assuming that's why I was never sent any papers from his lawyer to date. Will you go with me?"

"Of course I will. We still have time to pick a new place to live."

"I've really enjoyed not working, you know? This is the first time in years I haven't had some kind of crushing weight held over me. I knew it wouldn't be like this forever, but I think I quite like being a househusband you know?"

"You make a beautiful one at that. Your cooking has been improving too."

"I'm glad that you think so, it makes me feel a lot better. I want to feel like I'm contributing while you work."

"You do contribute. You've actually helped me get organized which is a feat of its own. Speaking of, should I change for your meeting?"

"We'll dress to impress, and then we can take your parents out to a nice dinner? I'll pull some strings and get a reservation for us."

"That sounds wonderful, I'm sure they'll love that. Invite your mother if you'd like too."

"Maybe I will. Let's get you something to wear that will make my father eat his words."

Harry looked more confident than he felt. He had no clue what he was getting into, but he would stand by Draco's side no matter what.

"We are going to make my father as uncomfortable as possible", Draco decided as soon as they arrived at the business.

"Fine by me, you take the lead and I'll follow."

A passionate snog right in the open doorway of Lucius' office was not what Harry expected, but he wouldn't turn that down. Lucius cleared his throat, but Draco didn't pull away until he was almost out of breath.

"Father. Hello Mr. Jones, I didn't see you there. This is Harry."

"Pleasure to officially meet you sir."

"Let's get down to it shall we?", Mr. Jones asked.

Draco sat down with Harry next to him, placing his hand protectively on his knee.

"May I ask why we're here?"

"Mr. Jones and a few other clients have given me an ultimatum. Either you come back and handle their contracts or they'll pay out and leave. Mr. Jones said you and... Mr. Potter were looking into starting your own company, and that Mr. Potter here has a business degree."

"Yes, I do. I was a double major and hold a number of certifications."

"That's quite impressive", Mr. Jones chimed in.

"As was your business plan. Draco says you wrote that yourself?"

"Yes sir, I did."

"I'd like to offer both of you a job here. Draco, your... resignation hasn't been completely finalized so you will lose no time. Mr. Potter, if you accept, we will have to write up a contract."

"Harry and I will consider it, thank you Mr. Jones."

"Of course Mr. Malfoy, I hope to hear from you soon."

"Thank you for the dinner Mr. Jones, that was quite kind of you."

"Ah, young love is a beautiful thing indeed. Good day to you all."

"Harry and I need a few moments to discuss your offer, but I'd like to see my contract as well. I assume there have been some changes?"

"There have been, and I'm willing to negotiate."

"Because you realized that the only reason people stick around here is because of me? I've been out of work for two weeks and see no reason as to why I should come back. I can receive employment elsewhere."

"Draco, this is steady work for you and your... boyfriend. Dependable income. Your mother mentioned you were looking for a new flat. We could arrange for you to have a house-"

"I want to work for it. I'm tired of having things handled for me. It's something we need to do on our own."

"Very well then. I'll leave you to discuss. Please keep yourselves decent on my couch."

"We are not doing anything on his couch", Harry said as soon as Lucius left.

"Is this what you want Harry?"

"Part time maybe? I don't know. He didn't say anything about my original request. I want my own art studio, that's always been my dream. But if it takes working here to be able to save for that myself and forgo the loan, then fine."

"Or, we get you the loan and then you work it off with little to no interest paid."

"I can do that."

"I want a four day work week too. Which day do you want to have off for us? Fridays for a long weekend? Or do you prefer Wednesdays right in the middle?"

"Let's see what your father thinks."

They spent hours in that office striking and rewriting things from the contracts until they were satisfied. Harry took his home to review with Remus at a later point but promised a response by first thing Monday morning.

"That is not what I expected", Harry remarked as soon as they got back to the car.

"Me neither. Shall we go back home and have a little celebration of our own before dinner?"

"That sounds perfect."