Chapter Five

We stood staring at each other

We stood staring at each other. She kept her face even, but the way she deeply swallowed told me that she was surprised to see me. The other woman was looking between the two of us. She tapped her wedding band against the metal of her travel mug emitting a loud clang in the small space.

"What are you doing here?" I finally found words.

"Volunteering," she said, doing her damnedest to not give me much to work with.

Not able to think what to say I just stood, looking at her. Waiting. For what, I didn't know.

"Hi, I'm Bryana." The dark-haired woman walked out from behind Piper and held her hand out to me. "You are?"

I opened my mouth to answer but Piper spoke before me, "This is Dziadzia's doctor."

Sister.

"Also known as Reed." I told her as I shook her hand.

She hummed in acknowledgement as she stepped back and turned to Piper. "Can I have your keys?" She held her hand out. "I'll pick you up after you're done."

Piper gave me one last look before turning and walking over to the small table at the front of the tent. I also moved in deeper, pulling my bag off my shoulder. I pulled out my stethoscope and wrapped it around my neck before turning my attention back to the other two people in the tent. Bryana whispered something in her ear then gave her a wink before disappearing out into the crowd.

"So, I guess we're working together today." I rubbed my neck sheepishly before shoving my hands in the pockets of my jeans.

"Obviously." Piper picked up a stack of papers and hit them against the desk.

This isn't going well.

"Is it just the two of us in here?" All I could imagine was a whole day of uncomfortable exchanges.

"No. There's a nurse. Angie." Piper didn't even look at me as she spoke. "She'll actually be working with you. I'm just dealing with paper and such."

"Piper can we--" Before I could finish my sentence a woman came breezing into the tent.

"Hey! A new face!" she exclaimed brightly at me. "Angie." She placed her hand on her chest.

"Reed," I replied.

"I've kind of set everything up already. Come over here." She gestured for me to follow her.

I did, but I wasn't exactly paying attention to what she was saying. She gave me a poke and I turned to her. I cleared my throat and crossed my arms doing my best to keep up with her animated chatter.

I could feel eyes on me, and glanced over at Piper who instantly looked down at some papers in her hands. I smiled to myself. Gotcha.

 Gotcha