Chapter Twenty

As we drove towards the restaurant I could easily see Piper's nerves

As we drove towards the restaurant I could easily see Piper's nerves. She was wringing her hands and digging her teeth into her lower lip.

I reached over and took her hand in mine. I kissed it tenderly. "It's going to be okay."

She looked over and nodded nervously at me.

I pulled up to the restaurant and quickly made my way around to the passenger's side of the car. I opened the door for her and watched as she stepped out onto the sidewalk. She pointed in the window of the restaurant.

"There they are."

I followed the direction of her finger. Jakub looked so different in his button up plaid shirt than he did in the usual hospital gown I had seen him in for months. Michael sat beside him and laughing at something that was said. As I looked I noticed more similar features to Piper, like his long face and cleft chin.

There was also a woman with dark hair tied in a slightly disheveled ponytail, but her back was to us. Regardless, I knew it had to be her mom. Amber.

We walked into the restaurant and joined her family. I watched as Piper cheerily gave both her grandfather and dad a quick kiss on the cheek, but only a small smile to her mother.

"Well, Dziadzia and Dad probably remember him, but Mom, this is Reed my...." She stumbled as if she was nervous to say the words I had used in the hospital.

"Boyfriend," I repeated our agreed upon terms. 

Piper smiled proudly, although I knew I was the lucky one. She picked me, and that felt more incredible than I could express.

Amber stood up and gave me a quick hug. I could instantly smell the alcohol coming through her pores.

"It's nice to meet you, Amber," I said as she released my from her embrace. I pulled out a chair for Piper next to her father. "And of course to see you again Jakub and Michael."

I unbuttoned my sports jacket as I took my place next to Piper. Her leg was tapping rapidly beside me. I pressed my hand into her thigh and gave her a small smile.

"It's definitely nice seeing you in a restaurant setting." Jakub smiled over at me.

"Likewise." I met his eyes. "How has life outside the hospital been treating you?"

"Great!" Jakob exclaimed. "I've missed my son's cooking."

Michael chuckled. "It's really only a step up from hospital food." I let out a small laugh of my own.

"Oh, Daddy." Piper ran her arm along the back of Michael's chair.

"You're quite handsome." All our attention turned to Amber who suddenly interjected herself into the conversation, slightly slurring her words.

"Thank you," I replied.

"And a doctor!" she continued. "Impressive."

"It's hard work, but I find it rewarding." I smiled at her.