Epilogue

It's amazing how much can change in a year

It's amazing how much can change in a year. I kept running through the last one in my mind as I paced our condo.

"Sit down man," Declan called to me from the couch.

"When are you meeting her?" Spencer asked as he closed the fridge.

"In about twenty minutes." 

"She really spruced up this place," Adam commented as he walked around.

"It's definitely more homey," Declan agreed.

"Why the fuck can't I get this to work?" I pulled at my tie.

"Dude, relax." Spencer walked out of the kitchen and put his hands on my shoulders and gave me a little shake. "It's going to be good. We all got your back. The chime of my intercom distracted me from my thoughts. "That's probably Katie." Spencer informed me.

I nodded then walked over to the intercom. I pressed the button and the screen came to life. A petite woman with dark brown hair and plump bright pink lips looked up into the screen. 

"Hello?" 

Her face suddenly turned sheepish. "Uh, Spencer told me to come to this address."

"I'll let you in." I hit the button that unlocked the main door. I let out a breath as Spencer came over.

"Too bad it's not Bram." Spencer looked over at Declan. "I mean, I get it but, I miss the old days."

"Me too," I agreed. "Bram made his choices though." Spencer nodded in agreement. 

It didn't need to be spoken that the other thing that changed in the last year was that I had cut ties with Bram. It was something I should've done sooner but the part of me that wanted to believe the old Bram would return to us kept me from doing it. Declan and I having a real heart to heart about his life also swayed me- but there were a lot of things I couldn't tell Spencer or Adam. I swore I would take them to my grave and I will.

"He and Taylor broke up," Spencer said. "He was on Adam's and my couch for a bit then Adam came home one day and just kicked him out. Not really sure what went down."

There was a light knock at my door before I could tell him that Adam had come to me. "You better get that." I gestured with my head.

Spencer gave my arm a light pat as he took off towards my front door. I watched as he opened it and his new girlfriend walked in. He smiled down at her and gave her a quick kiss on the lips in greeting. While on the surface he seemed happy, underneath I could see a wisp of sadness.

"How're you feeling, man?" Declan's voice broke my thoughts.

"Worried. Very worried." 

"That seems pretty on par considering what's about to happen," Declan said as Adam walked over.

I sighed. "How much longer until we need to go?"

Adam looked down at his phone. "Like ten minutes."

A bottle of water suddenly appeared against my chest.