Chapter Eight

Naomi laughed loudly from across the bar with Adam

Naomi laughed loudly from across the bar with Adam. Piper shook her head as she took a drink of her beer.

"She seems in her element." I commented pressing my own bottle to my lips. I looked around the bar for Declan and Spencer where I saw them playing darts.

"She's never had trouble making friends," Piper replied.

I hummed in agreement. I had noticed the others had taken an instant liking to her. It wasn't surprising. She was an attractive woman with a confident and fun personality.

"I wonder if Adam knows she's gay?" Piper asked.

"It's good for him to figure these things out on his own."

She giggled. It was such an amazing sound. I wondered if I could make her do it again. 

"Honestly, Adam isn't really looking for anyone right now," I said. 

"Really?" Piper seemed intrigued. "Why not?"

I shrugged. "I think Spencer knows, but they live together so it's hard to keep secrets. Declan, Bram, and I don't."

"Bram?"

"Another friend of mine. He and Declan don't get along so he's not often with the four us. Long story."

Piper nodded just as Declan appeared and straddled the barstool next to me with a bottle of water in his hands. Spencer took a seat next to Piper.

"Who won?" I asked as I eyed Spencer. He stared straight ahead at the sports highlights on the TV. He must really be smitten by that waitress to ignore Piper sitting right next to him.

"Me," Declan said, then leaned across me to ask, "What do you do for work, Piper?" 

"I'm a Clinical Psychologist," she answered confidently.

I liked that she took pride in her work. I turned my attention to Declan whose brows were raised at her response, "Do you deal with... grief?"

Now it was my turn for my eyebrows to shoot up.

Piper slowly nodded. "Yeah, I do."

Declan hummed but didn't say anything further. I could only hope it was a step in the direction I wanted him to go.

I opened my mouth to say something but Naomi came over.

"Hey, I think I'm going to head out," Naomi told her. "Are you ready to go or..." She turned her sights to me.

I let out an uncomfortable chuckle.

"Well, I'm your ride." Piper drained the rest of her beer.

"No, I think you've been drinking and I should drive your car back to your place," Naomi suggested.

"How will I get home?"

"Uber!" The word came out faster and louder than I meant. I could feel Spencer and Declan looking at me as I looked between the two women who were eyeing me suspiciously. "I mean," I stumbled over my words, "if you wanted to stay, I'd make sure you got an Uber."