Chapter Eleven

I felt nervous as I paced outside the office of my attending

I felt nervous as I paced outside the office of my attending. I had never asked for accommodation before. While logically I knew it was what had to be done, a part of me worried if it would affect my career.

The door to her office opened.

"Come in, Dr. Walton," Dr. Anne Turney said.

She stepped to the side and allowed me to enter her small office. It was nicer than mine, which was shared by the two other residents.

We exchanged pleasantries as I sat down on the couch that lined the wall while she settled behind the desk. She laced her fingers together then gave me a warm smile. "What can I do for you, Reed?"

"I uh...." My mouth felt dry as I searched for the words. "I have a conflict of interest with one of my patients."

Anne's eyebrows knit together. "I see. Which one?"

"Jakub. Gorzynski." I'm sure she didn't need the clarification with the last name considering his first was already pretty distinctive.

She slowly nodded. "Okay. May I ask why?"

I sighed. "I'm uh... attracted to his granddaughter," I tried to put it delicately.

"I see." Anne nodded her head and leaned back in her chair. "I think we could get Rose to take him on. One of her patients was discharged a few days ago."

That was easier than I anticipated. I had spent so much time building up this conversation in my head. I had even prepared my rebuttal to her saying no. I hadn't thought about what I'd say if she agreed.

I settled on, "Thank you."

I finally let the wave of relief wash over me.

"You'll still need to check on him today and advise him of the change," Anne told me, "but after that, consider this matter settled."

"I can do that." I nodded eagerly.

I stood up, smoothing my lab coat as I did. I gave Anne a warm smile before turning to leave. Suddenly, a worrying thought crossed my mind.

I turned back. "Is my Dad going to find out?"

Anne chuckled. "I don't see why he would need to. This isn't his department."

"Again, thank you."

I exited the office and began my journey to Jakub's room. I felt a pang of sadness at the idea of letting him go; at the same time I knew it was in his best interest.

I gently knocked on his door and entered only to immediately bump into someone.

"Oof!" A familiar woman's voice spoke.

My heart fluttered. Piper.

When I finally got a look on her face, her expression was not what I was expecting. It looked cold and distant.