I Think I Pulled a Hammy

Carson sat on his bed watching me as I held my backpack in the air and started my perfectly planned out presentation.

                “Good evening, gentleman,” I said in a dramatic voice. “Welcome to our… uh… whatever number it is Loser Lesson!” I bowed, “Please, please, hold the applause until after. Yes, calm down, thank you.”

                Carson just sat there blinking at me.

                “What a rowdy crowd we have tonight,” I muttered, which caused him to smirk. I felt like I had back when we first were becoming friends and I was trying so hard to make him smile and laugh, I was doing the same thing now. “Anyway,” I cleared my throat. “Today’s lesson is about expressing yourself. Each participant, AKA you and me, will teach the other person something that they can do very well. So like, if I were good a painting… which I’m not… I would teach you how to paint and you would have to do it. Get it?”

                “Got it,” he nodded.

                “Good. Let us begin. Who shall go first?” I looked around the room, pretending to choose from a crowd. My eyes landed on my best friend, “Ah, Carson… how about you?”

                “No.”

                “Come on!” I groaned, losing my professional tone. “I did all your Loser Lessons!”

                “I didn’t say I wouldn’t do it, I’m just not going first. You go.”

                “Fine,” I sniffed, grabbing my backpack and unzipping it. “Put some sweatpants on.”

                “Why?”

                “Because I said so.”

                He rolled his eyes, but pulled some sweatpants out of his dresser and changed behind his closet door quickly. “All right, now what?” he questioned. I could tell he was trying to stay cool, but I could see the excitement in his eyes.

                Yes, we were getting somewhere.

                “Let’s stretch out, we don’t want to pull a muscle,” I explained, reaching down to touch my toes with ease.

                “Doing what?”

                “I’ll be the one asking the questions here. Touch your toes!” I barked at him. He grinned and bent down in a sad attempt to reach his toes. I started giggling as his lanky arms hardly reached past his knees.

                “Hey, shut up!” he blushed, “You’re supposed to teach me how to do this. Not laugh at me!”

                I continued giggling, “This isn’t even what I was going to teach you. This was just the warm up.”

                “Well whatever,” he stood up straight, “Let’s just get started.”

                “We have to stretch—“

                “No we don’t,” he cut me off with a huff. I let out another laugh but quickly covered it with a cough.

                “Don’t come crying to me when you a pull a hamstring.”

                “I won’t.”

                “Good,” I laughed one more time before sobering up. “All right. Today I’m teaching you how to be a cheerleader.”