My Knight in Shining Armor Turned Out to be a Loser in Aluminum Foil

"My Knight in Shining Armor Turned Out to be a Loser in Aluminum Foil"

The next thing I knew, I was behind the school, tears streaming down my face, and fumbling with my phone trying to call Jake. I wiped my eyes on the back of my hand a few times, and cleared my throat so that he wouldn’t be able to tell I was crying.

                I dialed in his numbers and waited for him to pick up. Just when I thought he wasn’t going to answer, I heard a click.

                “Hello?”

It was so good to hear his voice. I hadn’t heard from him all summer. No matter how many times I tried to call him and leave messages, I could never get ahold of him. But talking to him now was great. He was like my knight in shining armor… ready to save me from my bad day.

                “Jake! I missed you so much!”

                “Hey! I missed you too, baby!”

                “How was your summer?” I asked.

                “Pretty good, just hung around,” he answered.

                “Did you get any of my messages?”

                “Uh…no, my… phone died,” he explained.

                “All summer?”

                “Yes?” he said it like a question. Something was up.

                “Jake, what’s going on?”

                He sighed, “I knew this was coming.”

                “What?”

                “Listen, Annie… I don’t think we’re working out.”

                “Huh?”

                “I mean us… as a couple.”

                “Wait, you—“

                “It’s just that, you’re so far away now… and… you’re not the head cheerleader anymore—“

                “Is that what this is about?” I hissed angrily. “Because I’m not the most popular girl at the school anymore?”

                “Well, Annie… you have to see it from my point of view!” he defended. “I’m the starting quarterback, it helps my reputation to be going out with the head cheerleader, and that’s not you so…”

                “Are you serious right now?” I yelled into the phone.

                “Annie, settle down…”

                “So you’re just going to date whoever the head cheerleader is?” he didn’t answer, I took that as a ‘yes’. “You’re so….stupid. Who’s the head cheerleader now?” I asked angrily. He didn’t say anything. “Jake,” I said between clenched teeth, “Who is the head cheerleader?”

                “Lily,” he said quietly.

                “Lily?” I kept my voice calm. “So you’re going out with Lily now? My best friend, Lily?”

                “Well, she said you’d be okay with it…”

                “Did she now?” I balled my hands into fists.