Ain't No Party Like an S Club Party!

“Annie, what are you doing this weekend while we're gone?” my Mom asked as she poked some earrings through her ears. I glanced up from my spot at the table and looked at her with a mouthful of cereal, shrugged, then went back to staring at the bowl.

Yes i was eating cereal. And yes... it was after lunch. We all do it, okay?.

                “Probably hang out with Carson,” I told her after swallowing. It had been two weeks since I’d last been to Carson’s house, or even hung out with him. I mean, we saw each other at school but nothing outside of it. Which meant I hadn’t had a chance to ask him my questions, I didn’t really want to bring it up at school… it kind of felt like a very public place to be talking about something so personal. Not that I knew it was personal, but I was pretty sure. Well, if that was the only way to get answers, it was going to have to happen.

                “You hang out with him a lot,” my Mom notified me, as if I didn’t already know.

                “He’s my friend.”

                “Yeah, but all I ever hear is ‘Carson this’ and ‘Carson that’. Don’t you have any other friends?” She didn’t ask it rudely, it was just a question, but I snapped anyways.

                “No, Mom, I don’t. I never did.”

                We looked at each other in silence before I shoved myself away from the table, dumped my bowl in the sink, and stomped up to my room. I flopped down on my bed and then instantly felt bad for freaking out. It was good question. It made sense for a Mom to ask her daughter that. I mean, Carson is the only person I ever hang out.

                I sighed and rubbed my face, what was wrong with me?

                If I could pick an excuse I would say that the stress from not knowing Carson’s incident was getting to me. Yeah, that sounded good.

                Groaning, I picked myself of the bed and started heading downstairs to apologize, but when I opened my Mom was right there looking as though she was about to knock.

                “Oh, hi,” she grinned sheepishly.

                “I’m sorry,” I burst out. “I’m rude.”

                “No, it’s okay,” my Mom said instantly, but I saw something flash through her eyes, but I couldn’t understand what it was. “Let’s sit,” she gestured to my bed.

                We both sat down, but neither of us said anything. “So…” I broke the silence.

                My Mom smirked at me but then grew serious, “I think we need to talk.”

                “About what?”

                “You.”

                “Me?” I asked, shocked.

                “Yes, you. You seem… different,” she pursed her lips thoughtfully. “Not in a bad way, but… different.”

                “Different how?”

                “I don’t know,” she frowned. Then something seemed to click in her head. “Are you and Carson dating now?”

                “Mom!” I gaped. “No! We’re friends!”