The Rose and the Thorn

A/N: Hello everybody! Wow, the support for this story lately has just been A M A Z I N G! I want to thank everybody very very much for voting, fanning, and commenting. 

This chapter is dedicated to bookbuddy for being such an awesome person :) 

Seriously, you guys, I almost gave in to the writers block I had with this story, but reading all your comments really encouraged me to write another chapter... and now I can't stop! 

Oh, also... shout out to 99jellybean! I just know how much you loooove your poodleman, so I made sure he was in this chapter ;)

OH! SORRY! Also, for the purpose of me not having to write a song, I used the song 'Don't You' by Darren Criss (who plays Carson in my mind) as the song Carson plays for Annie. Take a listen. His voice is beautiful...and I plan to marry him.Sorry for the long note... okay bye. :) 

His voice was soft and mellow, probably the most beautiful singing voice I had ever heard come from the male gender. His fingers floated across the strings easily, creating a beautiful sound, and he kept eye contact with me the entire time.

**Don’t You by: Darren Criss**

I couldn’t get over how perfect his voice was. I had to remember that it was Carson who wrote the song because it was so incredibly beautiful and romantic. Whoever he wrote the song for, or about, must really be some girl to pull this out of him.

Wait…did Carson have a crush on someone?

A small pain shot through my stomach, I didn’t really know why. Probably because he never told me about her before, I’m supposed to be his best friend right?

I shook my head slightly and listened to the rest of his song. As he strummed the final chord, he cleared his throat and looked away from me for the first time since he started singing.

                “I uh… I’ll be right back…“ he stood to leave but I caught his wrist, he swallowed once before looking down at me slowly.

                “Carson,” I started, grinning like a maniac, in fact I was sort of tearing up by how sweet the song was. “That was really beautiful… I mean, wow… I’m speechless… I…”

                “Really?” he looked down at me hopefully, a smile breaking out on his face. Aw, he underestimated himself so much.

                “Really,” I nodded. “I can’t believe you wrote that!” I complimented, hoping to make him realize just how good he really was.

                “Well,” he mumbled a little, staring at his feet before lifting his gaze to mine, “I had a lot of inspiration.”

                It felt like I got punched in the gut. The thought of another girl getting to hear that song, to know the real Carson made me so… mad.

                “She must be great…” I whispered, anger building up in my stomach.

                He’s my best friend! You hear me? MINE.

                “Yeah,” he grinned, “She really is…” We were both quiet for the moment, Carson probably daydreaming about some girl, while I was trying to control my temper. Didn’t I deserve to hear about her? I mean, he knew about Jesse… this seems like a one sided friendship.

                “Annie, um, there’s something I wanted to tell you, uh, for a… well, forever, really…” he stumbled over his words, laughing awkwardly, his face heating up.