Harsh Words Break No Bones but They Do Break Hearts

“Mom, I gotta go. I’m taking the car,” I called as I raced outside. I needed to apologize for abandoning him all day.

                “Annie, what’s wrong?”

                “Nothing Mom, I’ll be home in a bit. Bye!” I jumped into the car and started the engine, pulling out of the driveway.

Wait, what was I doing? I barely knew how to drive… my Dad said I was terrible at it, my driving instructor said I was terrible at it… in fact, the only reason I had my license was because I flirted WITH the driving instructor. But I needed to see Carson right now. He was probably super angry at me. I mean, I know that I’d be mad at me if I were him and I had done that to me…if that made sense.

                As soon as I parked the car, somehow arriving alive, I ran up to his house, pounding on the front door. When no one answered in the first five seconds I tried to kick it open like cops do on TV. Apparently I’m too weak for that and I really did nothing.

                “Carson!” I yelled, pounding on the door. “Let me in, dang it!” I grabbed the door knob, peering into the key lock, hoping to see how to pick the lock. I looked around me, grabbing a stick from the ground and shoving it into the key hole. I wiggled it ferociously, hoping that would work somehow but when it didn’t, I took out the stick and threw it to the side angrily. “Alright, you asked for it, Carson!” I screamed. Taking a few steps back, I took a deep breath, focusing my Zen… and then charged at the door. I slammed into it, hard. “Hurts more than you would think,” I groaned to myself, backing up to do it again.

                I was getting in this stinkin house if it’s the last thing I do!

                “Okay… 3…2…1… CHARGE!” I yelled at the top of my lungs. Running at full speed I was ready to tear that door down. But just as I was about to collide with it, it swung open and I flew into the house, tripping over the doorframe and knocking over the person who opened the door.

                “What the heck, Annie!?” an annoyed Carson hissed, pushing himself off the floor. “The door was freaking unlocked the whole time!”

                “Oh,” I mumbled into the carpet, my face going red. But, hey! At least I got inside!

                I picked myself off the floor and dusted off my clothes; after I cleaned up I lifted my gaze to meet Carson, who was just standing there watching me. We held eye contact for a long time, no one moved.

                He wasn’t angry… well he didn’t look angry. In fact, he didn’t look anything. Tired, maybe. But that’s about it.

                “What are you doing here?” he asked, emotionless.

                I gulped, “Well I wanted to talk to you…”

                “Since when?” he snapped.

                I swallowed hard, staring down at my fiddling fingers, my eyes watering, “I uh…”

                “Sorry, Annie,” he sighed, coming towards me. “I’m being a jerk…”

                “No, I am,” I shook my head. “I should’ve told you I wasn’t eating lunch with you today.”

                “Is… is that why you rushed over here so suddenly?”

                “Yeah,” I frowned slightly. Why else?