one.

IT WAS NOT A STRANGE SIGHT

as the spacious maw waved side to side in the sea and the hungry kids woke up from their slumber, one of them traced memories on paper.

he drew tunnels, air vents, small creatures running away with their short legs, eyes that didn't miss a hair put out of place, long arms that checked every stop as if they were the eyes themselves, big, bizarre-looking and lazy hunters looking for their next munch.

and in the middle, he drew a masked woman that yearned for her past beauty. The lady everyone knew all too well.

nomes ran around him and sometimes brought their own messy drawings, they seemed to be helping him complete the collage of every child's fear.

wondering, what was that he was actually doing?

an alarm sounded, the blind monster in charge would soon cross the door and guide the group of children to their daily bath. Then, onto their first and last meal of the day, and finally to do as they please in the playroom surrounded by electrified bars. Where more than one have tried to escape.

while the children stretched their lanky bodies the janitor swung the door open, the day had started.

-

"i noticed you staring at me earlier." a raspy voice startled one of the kids from behind, making him drop the ball he was holding. "you're not telling are you? i doubt they would understand you anyway."

kid stuttered, he was known to be awkward already, but when the boy that carries a mysterious but dangerous aura everywhere he goes is talking to you like he knows your deepest secrets all the previous confidence you may have had vanishes.

"answer me." he took a hold of kid's blue shirt and brought his body closer to his, if kid was scared now he was terrified, he struggled to speak but nothing but choked sounds would come out. he was doomed, he thought.

"hey (y/n)! leave him alone!" one girl shouted from the swings, as she threw a letter cube at the scary child.

"sorry." he let go of kid's shirt and left.

'...that wasn't for me at all' kid thought.

-

at night kid heard him. taking things from under his bed and into another room, then not coming back for at least three hours.

one night he brought a book from god knows where, and placed it under the pillow of the girl that sleeps beside him, together with some metal scraps and some kind of lightbulb, the next day they bathed in the dark.

it went on for some weeks, until curiosity got the best of him and decided that he would find out what they were planning once and for all.

he found him and the girl that defended him chatting in whispers at the breakfast area, he was guiding her finger through one of the drawings he had on his notebook while he explained something intently.

kid scanned the area. even though his long bangs didn't let him see very well, he noticed no one else looked interested in sitting with them.

he placed his almost empty tray with shaky hands on the table, making the two direct their attention at him.

"um," the black-haired girl started. "what do you need?"

no answer, kid tried to ask, to converse, to do anything really, but (y/n) was glaring at him so hard he could die in that instant, his blood ran cold.

kid regretted his descition quickly, so he excused himself and went to sit on another table far from them, leaving his food behind.

he banged his head againist the table before letting out a deep sigh. he hated being such a coward.

kid looked through his bangs to where they were sitting again, the girl was already putting her focus back on the scribbled paper on the table, completely ignoring what just happened. he lowered his head again and almost grunted.

the feeling of being watched made him flinch. this time it wasn't any of the stone-turning eyes, and obviously it wasn't roger (as he's blind).

children are scary and he will certainly cry that night.

-

"i know you're awake"

"AH!"

a croac-like sound was heard outside the room, then little footsteps. "shut...!" (y/n) snarled and jumped on kid's bed without a care, he tried to make his breathing as even as possible, kid got what he was doing and pretended to be asleep too.

roger entered the room after and passed his boney hands through the children's torsos to check if everyone was still on their beds.

when he reached kid's bed he took a hold of the back of (y/n)'s shirt, careful not to "awake" him, and placed him on his matress before patting his head and leaving through the door he came in.

kid had his heartbeat on his ears, his eyes were open wide, fixed on the ceiling. and his body didn't move even if he wanted to.

some minutes passed and he remained unmoving, then he heard more footsteps, this time more distant. probably another kid trying to escape. he listened as roger roared and ran from his spot and behind the fugitive.
he let out a breath.

(y/n) wiped the sweat off his hands with the covers of his bed, mumbling something to himself in anger.

his bed creaked as he stood up, the dim light of the room making his face look frightening. he slowly approached kid and spoke.

"i won't ask you if you're dumb, 'cause that's obvious" he sat down next to him "and i would hate that a dumb kid was what delayed our escape."

'es...cape?' kid thought, his eyes lightning up.

"i'll have the chefs cut you open for a new pla- hey, what are you looking so excited for?!"

----------

aaaaa