six.

THE FIRST THING HE NOTICED WERE THE ORGANIZED CHAIRS AND TABLES

then, at the other side, the bars that wouldn't allow any trespasser. he was in the last place he thought that vent would bring him to.

kid turned his head where he thought (y/n) was to ask what they were doing there, but instead of finding the same stoical face that seemed to catch him right on time when he was about to zone out while coincidentally staring at him, he met an empty space. confused, he looked at the bars again.

it was almost comical, how the good old badass (y/n) was in the process of sliding horizontally through the metal bars while he muttered under his breath.

"cold, cold, cold." he instinctively arched his back, the thin cloth of his shirt did nothing against the metal grazing his skin, he slumped and sighed in satisfaction when he set both of his feet on the nearest table.

He looked back at kid, who was seemingly trying to contain a laugh but changed demeanor as soon as his gaze was set on him. he rolled his eyes.

"what are you waiting for? an invitation?"

kid followed his steps and tried to pass the bars like he did, suddenly empathizing with him, those things were freezing. instead of voicing his obvious discomfort, he opted for biting his lower lip so he wouldn't annoy him with his cries, or to impress him. maybe both.

that's what went through his head, which made him miss his foot getting stuck just as he reached the other side.

(y/n) flinched when he saw kid about to fall, expecting him to make a carnival's worth of noise, but it didn't make much, almost nothing at all. but the mix of the sudden ache in his inner thigh and the whole left side of his body sure hurt like a bitch. his leg got pulled up and the rest of his frame crashed against the ground, he felt at least three bones crack.

he watched as kid opened his mouth like one would do to scream in pure agony, then lower his head and punch the ground repeatedly without actually making any contact with it, at least he remembered they couldn't cause a hassle.

it would be so, so much easier for (y/n)  to just leave him there until the morning. roger would trip with his body and think he was trying to escape. then kid would be either taken to solitary confinement or directly sent to the pile of wrapped bodies waiting at the entrance of the kitchen, he wouldn't have to deal with his constant stutters anymore, or his lack of confidence or his awkward tries to impress him kid thought he didn't notice that sometimes were borderline cringy.

also his eagerness to learn, it would be pretty useful if he actually learned something, like not trying to leave the playroom in plain afternoon, with roger outside as a guard. he was always open to constructive criticism though, and accepted it with a smile even if (y/n)'s way to give it was by being harsh and lowkey rude. he couldn't forget his hair, he didn't deal with it himself but it was just impossible to see his face, which brought him back to the whole kid having no confidence in himself thing. but god, did it smell good.