three.

"SIT DOWN, SHE'LL BE HERE SOON"

(y/n) placed his and kid's tray on the table, he had offered to carry whatever kid was holding that day. in his eyes, it was a way to apologize for the times he made him fear for his life and somehow amend their relationship. for kid it was more like the calm before the storm, now he was acting all buddy-buddy with him, but when he less expected it, his body will be dragged and throw to the deep ocean, never to be seen of again.

kid shivered, it was not the place to be thinking that.

while he ate in silence, (y/n) took out his hand-made map of the maw from his pocket and clipped the drawings the nomes brought him with some toothpicks he found on the floor, it was almost ready, he told kid after he woke up.

"so." (y/n) broke the silence, his fingers tapped the table nerviously. "do you have a name?"

taken aback by the sudden question, kid swallowed, he'd never been called a anything other than... Well, kid. and he was sure that wasn't a name.

maybe it was? the only person  he knew that had a name was (y/n), so there's got to be more names than that, if everyone had the same name it would be confusing.

but there were other children in the maw that were also called kid.

can you re-use a name? wouldn't that be againist name rules? are there name rules? this was making his head spin, it was just a simple question and he's complicating it all.

"kid" he answered without thinking.

"that's not a name."

oh.

"then i don't"

(y/n) hummed and went back to his map, the tapping on the table became more intense.

he's definitely going to be the death of kid, making him panic over apparently nothing was becoming something common between them and he wasn't sure if that was good or bad.

judging by how erratic kid's heartbeat turned everytime it happened, it was bad.

a rough slap in the back of (y/n)'s head caused his face to slam againist the table harshly, making his nose bleed. kid's hand flew to his mouth and his eyes widened (not that anyone would notice).

"what the hell are you doing?" (y/n)'s girl — friend asked him, he quickly turned his body with murderous intent, but he softened when he noticed who it was.

"sorry."

"you dont even know what im talking about! Why are you apologizing?!"

"sorry."

'oh so he can do it but i don't?'

"you're so— ugh." she pushed her bangs back, clearly done with her friend. "anyway, what's he doing here?"

she pointed to where kid was sitting, who couldn't just continue eating because all that was given to him was bread and a sausage, and he didn't even like sausage.

(y/n) signaled her to sit down, and annoyedly, she complied.

he closed the space between them, and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear to whisper something. ignoring the little annoyance in his stomach at the strangely intimate display, kid decided to study the map.

the serene atmosphere was interrupted by a loud 'what?!', making kid take his eyes off the paper with a jolt.

(y/n) only looked at her while she fumed, she whisper-yelled at him about what kid could do to mess up the plan they've been working on for years, that he could tell more children that will mess it up even more. and god forbid, the voice reaches the lady.

it hurt a bit how she would think he would do that without them having spoken a word to each other ever, but kid knew she had a point.

"he won't do that" (y/n) defended kid after she stopped talking, his eyes sharp and cold. "i know it"

kid felt his cheeks heat up, did (y/n) trust him with such important information? if he didn't, why would he stand up for him out of nowhere at his (as far as kid knows) only friend?

"care to explain how?" the girl rolled her eyes.

"i threatened him."

kid visibly deflated at that, of course.

she grunted and slapped his head again, this time softer. he looked at her, and they didn't move for a moment before (y/n) jumped at her and grabbed the hem of her white dress to wipe the blood running from his nose. she tried to push him away but couldn't help the giggles bursting out, and if you looked closely, the ghost of a smile could be seen in (y/n)'s almost always stoical face. 

if only the maw always looked as brightly as kid saw it in that moment, there wouldn't be no need of (y/n) starving himself, or them doing any kind of life-threatening plan. but one can only dream.

"seriously though," she set herself free from (y/n)'s grasp and fixed her hair "if you fuck it up i'll take everything and leave you two to die here"

(y/n) glanced at her, clear amusement on his features despite his face having returned to the usual.

"loud and clear."

she looked over at kid expectant for confirmation that he also heard her, and he jumped in fear, because why wouldn't he.

"a-aye captain?" he smiled awkwardly with a thumbs-up.

that alone washed away the girl's good mood, and (y/n)'s weirded out face didn' t make things better. now he was going to stay up all night and ask himself why did he do that.

the girl took a bite of her own piece of bread, and with her mouth full she spoke only a word.

"good."

—————

this isnt 2016 why am i falling for micheal afton and his deranged corpse of a father.