seven.

"WHY HERE?"

"WHY HERE?"

some minutes after (y/n) was able to calm his racing heart kid spoke up, breaking the silence.

the breakfast area at night didn't look like somewhere one would willingly go to unless it was completely necessary. there was barely any light besides the tiny, flickering lightbulb in the hall at the other side. it was cold but humid. if you stood still for too much time the waving made you want nothing more but a paper bag where to puke. and you could hear the moving eyes that served as guards from every direction, which just reminded the kids in the maw how little freedom they had.

even if it was a somehow special place for both of them, they'd rather go back to their mattresses. at least until the sun rose.

"we can't risk being heard by the janitor, or anyone else that's not her."
he didn't need to explain who 'her' was, kid already knew. "what I'll tell you is not much, but it's still important."

at that, kid fixed his hunched posture like a classical soldier. if it was what he thought it was then he better not look remotely bored, who knows if the chance of getting to talk about the maw's secrets and hidden passages will ever make itself present again, and whatever chance there was would be discarded if (y/n) noted a lack of interest on his part.

it would be way easier to let his facial expressions do the job of letting others deduce what he was thinking instead of making the rest of his body cartoonishly eloquent, but the long bangs stay on during maw lessons. that was his motto.

huh, thank god mind-reading wasn't a thing down in the prison (maybe it was in other parts of the world, but how would he know?), if anyone knew about what was going on inside kid's head sometimes then he'd save (y/n) the work of dragging him by the arms and throwing his body into the ocean, he will jump head-first with the proper encouragement.

and that wasn't even the most embarrassing thing that went over his head, if they knew about how pretty he thought (y/n) looked when he was deeply concentrated on whatever book he was studying. chapped lips and all. he will jump with no encouragement needed, and he will also tie three rice sacks on his own ankles to make sure he's never able to swim back up. drowning sounds better than going through the shame that would be looking at him in the eye again.

it wasn't possible, but just in case there is someone eavesdropping on his mental panicking: stopreadingmymindstopreadingmymindstopreadingmymingstopreadingmy-

"i'm not reading your mind."

kid put his mouth on a thin line, he totally forgot his position at the moment, but how would (y/n) know what he was thinking about if he wasn't reading his mind? did he hear all that...?!

STOPREADINGMYMINDSTOPREADINGMYMINDSTO-

"i'm not! you mumble when you think too hard."

oh.