five.

MAYBE IT WAS THE LACK OF SLEEP MAKING AN EFFECT ON HIS BRAIN,

but kid looked a lot more peaceful that night when he slept, there were no signs of a bad dream and he wasn't changing positions at all.

it almost made him feel bad that he had to wake him up, almost.

kid jolted awake at the feeling of (y/n)'s fingers coursing through his torso, creating a static that made the hairs in the back of his neck stand up. he shot a questioning (but sleepy) look at (y/n) as soon as what he did settled in, but it was unsurprisingly ignored by the taller boy.

(y/n) put a finger in his lips, telling kid to not make a sound. kid had questions but he got what he was saying. when he nodded, (y/n) pointed with his lips to the lit-up room next to theirs, why that place didn't have a door was beyond them.

they crept slowly towards it and stopped with wide eyes whenever one of the planks creaked, painfully aware that roger could enter the room at any moment.

"can you crawl?" (y/n) asked him when the floor stopped making sounds.

"...can i-"

"can you crawl."

he had more questions now, nothing new when it came to deal with (y/n).

"i guess?" he scratched his cheek, (y/n)'s stare making it hard to think straight. "why?"

a soft breeze came from a conveniently placed vent in the wall, which made kid look forward and notice how the whole thing was organized. next to the wooden shelf below the vent, a pile of cages was arranged one on top of the other, forming a makeshift ladder right next to the shelf. the cages looked terribly heavy, it was impossible two lanky children with no protein could have moved them on their own.

"is... the janitor helping you guys out?" kid asked mildly freaked out, gesturing at the cages.

the mention of roger made (y/n) turn his head so fast kid thought it was going to rip from his neck. then he shook his head with a sour face.

"no, in the slightless." he answered, already climbing the cages with ease. "he's just a little dumb that's all." he sat down at the top of the last cage. "c'mon, hurry up."

kid apologized and placed his foot in one of the wires and boosted himself up, he winced from time to time as the rust scratched his skin, but he overall had a good speed. in less than a few seconds he was already about to reach the top, he surprised himself, himself, and (y/n).

then their hearts dropped.

(y/n) quickly gripped the back of kid's shirt and pulled him up with him, the material ripping. the sound caught roger's attention and he directed himself to where it came from with slow but steady steps, that did but make the anxiety of both children build up like the bubbles in a shaken bottle of soda, their breath cut short.

kid nearly yelled when he felt (y/n) wrap his arms around his waist and hide his face in his hair, he felt how he trembled. he felt how his shoulders went up and down like he was trying to catch his breath, he felt his neck become sweaty despite the room being freezing cold, he felt his heartbeat match the speed of his own.

and the janitor only came closer.

without prying on it longer than he should have, kid returned the barely-hug and shook on (y/n)'s arms while the janitor inspected every centimeter of the floor.

now that he was closer to him he could hear that he was whispering to himself, 'don't catch us, don't catch us, she'll be sad, she'll cry, please don't catch us.' it made kid's heart break. how much he cared about his friend, but there was nothing he could do, if he happens to find them who knows when will be the next time he sees her, if he gets to live that is.

roger reached the room and they unconsciously held their breath, he inspected the inside of the cage at the bottom, his abnormally lengthy fingers did the job just right without the need of opening it. he found the corpse of a mouse, all bones no meat, that wasn't what he was looking for.

he moved onto the one upside it, kid moved his foot when he sensed the tip of roger's hat being too close, thankfully, it didn't make any noise that could alert him.

now roger inspected the one below them, tears pricked kid's eyes but he blinked repeatedly so they didn't have the chance to come out, he drew closer to (y/n) and grabbed his hands with strength. he was so scared, powerless.

roger only grazed the fabric of (y/n)'s oversized shirt when one of the children fell from their bed and started wailing, he turned around and quickly made his way towards them, forgetting about finding what had broken the quiet atmosphere.

he took the child in his arms and patted where the bruise was starting to form, even it was impossible for him to see where was the exact spot he heard how their cries became slightly louder when he touched a certain spot. the other children shifted in their sleep with discomfort, they were being noisy, even more for roger's sensitive ears. a distasteful scenario for him that would end with a single solution,  he left the room with the kid in arms.

the door closed harshly, yet no one seemed to open their eyes, thankfully.

kid and (y/n) released the stiffiness in their bodies, breathing in and out like they just ran a full marathon, their hearts beating a thousand miles per hour and by how much their joints were shaking if they were to stand up they would immediately fall and break a bone, and to kill two birds with one stone, call the janitor back inside. one of the kids sleeping was having a full conversation with themselves, but it was barely heard by the two boys. they were more focused on how the whole escape thing almost goes to waste.

another cold whiff coming from behind them refreshed their memory on what they just risked their lives for, or only (y/n), kid almost dies without knowing what he was woken up for.

speaking of, he was suddenly aware of how close he was to (y/n),  thinking he was making him uncomfortable, he dragged himself a little forward, enough so that his feet were dangling from the cage, a couple of seconds passed. he wasn't jolting as badly anymore, neither was the other.

they stood up simultaneously, kid lost balance for a moment but (y/n) grabbed him by his shoulders before any tragedies could occur, he didn't know why but he felt the urge to smile after it, smile and kill himself for being so clumsy.

he entered the vent side-by-side with (y/n), it wasn't as long as he thought it would be, no more than fifteen steps and they were already meeting with the other side. before they jumped out of it, kid armed courage and mused a little joke "maybe you shouldn't call the janitor dumb the next time?"

(y/n) didn't turn his head to glare at him or told him to shut his mouth, he assumed he must be either upset or still in shock, so he didn't try to bother him anymore.

the snort and giggle (y/n) couldn't but let escape, however, proved him wrong.

"heh, yeah" he said with a half-smile. and that was just enough for him.

"let go off my hand though, it wasn't that funny"

"s-sorry!"

—————

ew gay ppl yuckyyy😨😨