𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆, knives

FEAR OF HER.
[ chapter three ]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

ALBY APPROACHES THOMAS' BED, making sure a knife is secured in his waist band before shaking the boy roughly awake, "Thomas." He places a finger to his lips and clamps a palm over the brown eyes boys mouth, "Shh. Follow me."

Reluctantly, Thomas drops out of his bed, his eyes flicking over to Eve's empty hammock for a moment before he jogs after Alby, wondering where he's going.

"It's peaceful, isn't it?" Alby smiles as they walk through the bright green grass, "I know it's hard to believe but it wasn't always this way. We had dark days. We lost a lot of boys to fear - to panic."

They both stop, turning around slowly to look out over the peaceful Glade, listening to the crickets and other insects hop around on the grass. Thomas' eyes look for Evelyn, curious of why she wasn't in her hammock, but when he doesn't see any sign of her, he turns to Alby again.

"But we've come far since then." Alby continues, "Established order, made peace."

"Yeah." Thomas clicks his tongue, tilting his head slightly in confusion, "Why are you telling me this?"

"Because you're not like the other boys. You're curious. But you're one of us now." He slips the knife out of his waist band and gently places it in Thomas' hand, closing his fingers around it, "You need to know what that means."

He nods his head towards the maze wall, causing Thomas' eyebrows to furrow as he turns around, noticing all the names carved into the hard stone. Some of them are crossed out, others aren't - giving the new boy a good indication of who's gone. But one particular name sparks his interest and he taps the tip of the blade against the name.

"Why is Evelyn on here twice?" He asks, his gaze switching between the two carvings - one crossed out and another not.

Alby sighs, holding his hands together behind his back while he sways back and forth on his heels, "We thought she was dead when she got trapped in the maze. The next day she came through those doors, smiling her ass off because she'd proved us all wrong before collapsing to the floor due to blood loss. Evelyn has had a rough three years here, compared to the rest of us."

Thomas purses his lips, nodding slightly before stepping forward, digging the knife into the stone and slowly carving in his name in large letters, making sure to be careful not to ruin anyone else's.

"Talk to you later, Goldie." Evelyn pats Newt's shoulder, saying goodbyes once she notices Thomas making his way over to the gardeners with a spade in his hand.