𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒍𝒗𝒆, boys will argue

𝐅𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐄𝐑.
[ chapter twelve ]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

"WHAT'D YOU DO NOW?" Gally snaps angrily at the exhausted boy while a large group of Gladers follow behind the rushing runners, listening intently at every word that leaves their mouths.

Evelyn pushes hand through her messy hair while she strides across the green grass, "We found something... a new passage."

Thomas nods his head, looking at Newt while speaking quickly, not taking a minute for a breath, "We think it could be a way out."

"Really?" The blonde boy's eyebrows crease together.

"It's true." Minho pants, "We opened a door, something I'd never seen before. I think it must be where the Grievers go during the day."

Chuck jogs forward, slipping between Eve and Thomas, "Wait. Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're saying you found the Griever's home? And you want us to go in?"

"There way in could be our way out, Chuck." Thomas explains gently, trying his best not to be aggressive towards the young boy.

Eve could literally hear Gally's eyes roll into the back of his head in annoyance. He never liked Thomas, and the thought of the new body actually doing something useful angered him, "Yeah, or there could be a dozen Grievers on the other side!" He snaps, "The truth is, Thomas doesn't know what he's done, as usual."

Evelyn rolls her jaw and the boy beside her whips around on his heel to face Gally, stepping closer to him, "Yeah, well, at least I did something, Gally. I mean, what have you done? Huh?" He raises his voice, spitting in the opposite boy's face, "Aside from hides behind these walls all the time!"

"Let me tell you something, Greenie." He presses three fingers into Thomas' chest roughly, "You've been here three days, alright? I've been here three years. I—"

"Yeah!" The dark haired boy cuts him off, "You've been here three years and you're still here, Gally! Alright? So what does that tell you? Maybe you should do things differently."

A small smirk appears on Evelyn's face and she slyly lifts her hand up to cover it, knowing if Gally caught a glimpse of it he would smack her sideways. Drama of any kind was a unusual thing in the Glade, and if it ever did happen it wasn't anything overly interesting.

"Guys." A small feminine voice calls, sparking Evelyn's attention.

"Maybe you should be in charge!" Gally snarls.

"HEY!" Eve shouts, clapping her hand, immediately causing all the surrounding boys to look her way. She points at Teresa, signalling for her to carry on.

"It's Alby." Teresa says, "He's awake."

Evelyn had been having so much fun she had almost forgotten the existence of the other girl. The sight of her causing Eve's face to drop again, the smirk quickly leaving.

"Has he said anything?" Minho questions as the five of them follow Teresa into the med jack hut, all of their eyes immediately landing on Alby's hunched over form.

"No."

"Alby?" Evelyn gently placed herself down on the bed beside the ill looking boy, causing Thomas to step forward closer to the pair, just incase Alby decides to go crazy again, "Al? Are you alright?"

Thomas kneels on the hard wooden floor, craning his neck down to meet the other boys eyes, "Hey, Alby." He speaks quietly, almost in a whisper, "Alby, we might have just found a way out of the maze." He takes a sharp breath, noticing the tears in the leader's eyes, "You hear me? We could be getting out of here."

Slowly, Alby shakes his head, his eyes still focussed on the floor in front of him, "We can't." His lip quivers, showing a side of him most of the Gladers had never got to see before, "We can't leave. They won't let us."

Thomas' gaze shoots up to Evelyn, sending her a confused look and she returns it, shrugging her shoulders, "What are you talking about?"

"I remember."

Eve licks her lips, "What do you remember?"

Alby turns his head down towards Thomas, their eyes meeting, "You. You were always their favourite, Thomas. Always."

The girl beside him screws her face up in confusion and she leans forward, resting her elbows on her knees and resting her head carelessly in her hands. What is going on? She thinks.

She shoots up out of her sat position at the sound of concerned and strangled shouts, causing Thomas to rise up beside her, everyone's heads turning towards the door.

"They better be shouting because the box has gone down, and not because we're all about to die." The girl grumbles, shoving into Teresa's shoulder on the way past, swinging the door open to...

chaos.