𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒆, new girl

𝐅𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐄𝐑.
[ chapter nine ]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

"WHO KNOWS WHERE THIS MIGHT LEAD US?" Thomas says, glancing between the two boys in front of him and nudging his pointed finger towards the metal cylinder in Minho's hand, while the other Gladers, who joined them on their quest, watch the argument with curious eyes.

Gally straightens, shaking his head in disbelief, "You see what he's trying to do, right? First he breaks our rules, and then he tried to convince us to abandon them totally. The rules are the only thing that have ever held us together. Why now are we questioning that?" He swallows, sensing how many people disagree with him, "If Alby was here, you know he'd agree with me. Those shanks," He points at Thomas and Eve roughly, "need to be punished."

Evelyn pushes off the beam, her arms outstretched in confusion as her voice raises, "What did I do? All I did was kill one of them? If anything I was doing you all a favour, so was Thomas."

Gally huffs, stepping forward and snarling in the girls face, his teeth gritted, "You can't seriously believe that. He's a physco."

She throws her head back, laughing at his pathetic words, "Says the boy who uses stupid rules to live! What a—"

"Evelyn, calm down." Newt licks his lips, passing the cylinder back to Minho, "You're right. Thomas broke the rules, not Eve. So one night in the pit and no food, for him only."

The angered boy's eyes widen, "Oh, come on, Newt. One night in the pit? You think that's gonna stop him from going into the Maze?" He raises his voice, refusing to even glance over at Eve.

"No." The blonde boy states calmly, "And we can't just have non-runners running into the maze whenever they feel like it. So let's just make this official. Starting from tomorrow, you're a runner."

Evelyn smirks and secretively holds her palm out behind her back, letting Thomas lower down to high five her in triumph. Gally scoffs and pushes past the boys, shoving his way through the door and out into the open Glade.

"Well, there goes Mr Moody Pants." She sighs, running a hand through her hair, "I should probably go speak to him."

"Don't bother." Fry speaks up, holding his hand out to the girl to stop her from moving, "He's as mad as you as he is at Thomas."

"Of course he is." She sighs, not even surprised by the boys anger tantrum as she jogs outside, going the opposite way to him - finding her own way to relieve stress.

MINHO LEADS THOMAS through the wood and along a dirt trail until they finally reach a large hut, poles and beams sticking out of it to keep it still and firm.