The Spirit of Competition

'master Mako. This way please,' the butler greeted him at the door ushering him in towards the dining room. Mako followed behind dutifully while feeling uncomfortable he was unused to all this fancy stuff. the butler lead him into a large room with floor to ceiling windows letting in the sun's warm rays that instantly made his chi surge with energy sighing he casted his eyes around the room occupants landing briefly on Asami dad whom he was shocked to see. He heard so much about the mogul, his rags to riches story inspiring especially in a city where benders controlled the wealth. Finally, his eyes landed on Asami. She looked vivid in a long red dress that clung to her figure beautifully. Her bright green eyes shone with warmth as she stood and greeted him with a hug. Mako inhaled noting she even smelled lovely.

'mako hi, I know it was supposed to just be me and you but I had a talk with my father last night and he decided to join I hope you don't mind?'

'no no not at all its an hour to meet you, Mr Sato,'

'please call me Hiroshi. I've heard many wonderful things about you come sit. Let's talk hmm?'

'is this about the tournament?' he looked at Hiroshi with a frown

'my boy it's nothing to be ashamed off I once too was like you I had not even a copper to my name but I had a vision and with the right donation, I was able to build my empire. Let me be that donation I would hate to not see your talents through. You rose so quickly through the ranks let me help you win that tournament,'

Mako listened unsure if he should take this more than generous offer. He wanted to but he didn't like owing people. He had grown so accustomed to being self-sufficient and independent that relying on others but himself felt alien. However, he conceded after he thought of Bolin, whose dream was to win since they were kids. He couldn't rob that joy from him.

'alright.'

'on one condition though you need to wear the company logo on your uniform,'

'for that donation, I can polish your shoe if you'd like,' he responded laughing

The Satos joined in, ' come let's eat'

****

'Bolin where's mako?' Korra asked walking into the gym for practice seeing he was alone.

'oh hey Korra. He's on a date with Asami.' He said while throwing disks at the net in rapid succession.

'wait again,' she huffed. Korra was annoyed by how quickly mako took a liking to Asami whereas she had known him longer and he's just barely begun to open up to her. She didn't realize her frustration was so bad until she began to spar with Bolin and ended accidentally putting too much force behind her water offence. His earth defence crumbled and he flew backwards into the net landing hard on his ass.

She ran over to him concern and guilt warring, 'omg Bolin I am soo sorry are you okay?omg'

He got up and rubbed his ass his face flushed red from embarrassment, 'uh-huh yea I'm fine. What's up with you today you seem off I mean you've always been strong but you usually have more control than that when we spar.'

Korra hesitated on whether to open up to the earthbender but decided she needed someone to talk to and who better than mako's brother.

'ok fine its mako'

'what about him?'

' I mean how come he's hanging with Asami so easily when he was so closed off with me?'

'to be honest, I'm kinda surprised too he's very much a loner like I try to get him to be more outgoing but he usually shuts me down. But maybe its cuz Asami is well Asami,'

Korra frowned at that unhelpful bit from him

'here's what why don't we go to wong's for noodles hmm?'

'that sounds nice,' she smiled at him. She may not have made a friend out of mako but she will with Bolin.

***

Bolin and Korra were literally two peas in a pod. Korra never laughed so hard yet her cheeks were sore. She never realized Bolin was just like her. Honestly, it was refreshing being around someone who didn't care she was a messy eater or was goofy or that she participated in belching competitions and won. All the time growing up and even more so in republic city most of the women were glamours like Asami while she was well not.

She found herself relaxing and forming a genuine bond with Bolin. She was certain he felt that same way.

'hey, I wanna show you my favourite spot in the city,'

Bolin took her to a jetty that faced the arena. It glowed in all its golden glory in the distance.

'when I was young my father would put me on his shoulders so I could watch the fireworks over the area after the championship results were announced. It's a stunning display of green and blue and red to represent the team's elements. Back then all I wanted was to be a player win the trophy have the crowd cheer for me I promised my dad I would when I grew he looked at me seriously and said Bolin you can do anything anything at all. all you need to do is put your mind to it and believe but now...' he paused looking at her sadly, Bolin the one always cheerful and smiling looked so sad it made Korra's heartbreak. 'now I may not get to see that dream, or show my dad that I did'

Korra placed a hand on his shoulder, 'don't worry your dream will come true mako will find a way,' she smiled while he wiped his eyes

'Thanks, Korra.' 

to be continued 

I'm sorry for the lack of updates but school has me so stressed and busy. ill try to push in some chapters now and then whenever I have a sliver of free time. thank you for reading as always feedback is welcomed and don't forget to vote thanks.