Page 6

(D6) Derek

                         Derek is an Ex-British Railway Clayton type 1 ,(Class 17), designed by the Clayton Equipment Company under the pilot scheme as a way to improve driver visibility. D8500 was completed in the September of 1962 by the Clayton Engineering Company, being the first production Class 17. For his first year in service, D8500 would be sent to Polmadie  MPD with several siblings, and would be put to work on the goods services around the area. However, up until 1964, D8500 would suffer catastrophic engine failures regularly, with one failure doing so much damage that D8500 was seen as basically irreparable by British Railways. Thankfully for D8500, the NWR required extra help on the Brendam branchline, and D8500 was sold at scrap value to the NWR. After some teething troubles, D8500 was able to prove his worth on the railway, and had his engine issues permanently fixed at Crovan's gate in 1965 and receiving the D6 number under the numbering scheme. D6 would become known for a stuttering issue throughout his life, largely due to his anxiety brought upon by his engine troubles, and on one day, D6's stuttered when calling out his drivers name, accidentally coining the name Derek for himself thanks to his driver making a joke of the incident. Since his arrival, Derek has been allocated to Wellsworth MPD, wearing a British railways brunswick livery that was standard for most NWR diesels.