Page 7

(D7) Salty

                     Salty is an Ex-British Railways class 07 0-6-0 diesel shunter, built by Ruston & Hornsby for work at Southampton docks. D2986 entered service in June 1962, as the second member of the class, and would be delivered to Southampton docks by road, (as would become the standard method to deliver the class 07's due to axle box issues). For the first year in service, the young off center cab would be neglected by the other engines around the dock, due to him being more modern, however, he was able to find comfort by singing sea shanties to himself. However, by the end of 1963, the little diesel made an escape run by sneaking onto a ship bound for Brendam docks, upon arrival the diesels arrival was reported to the NWR's management, and Sir Topham would personally visit the diesel, and attempt to investigate the events. Eventually, British railways was contacted about the diesel, and a deal was struck in order to keep the diesel safely on the island, being assigned to work at the very docks he arrived in. Since his arrival, Salty, as he was named by the dock workers, can be seen painted in a dark red livery with warning stripes and he number D7, and has been allocated to Brendam MPD since 1963.