Page 9

(D9) Fred

                        Fred is an Ex-British Railways class 05 0-6-0 diesel-mechanical shunter, designed and manufactured by the Hunslet Engine Company under the 1955 modernization plan. His story started when the first batch of the Class 05 shunters would roll out of the main workshops in 1955, with him being number D2550. Following the completion of his trials, D2550 would be delivered to the Eastern region, where he would be put to work shunting, and pulling short trip workings along the line. However, during these operations, D2550 would suffer from issues with his engine, which had a slight age disadvantage when compared to his classmates. These issues would cause the little diesel much reputational harm, and would eventually lead to his early withdrawal in 1960, and damage to his self confidence. However, in 1961, D2550 would be purchased by the NWR to assist D5, (Rusty), with the operation of permanent way rains along the Skarloey branch, and D2550 would find himself arriving to the Island of Sodor on a cold January evening. After receiving the necessary repairs at Crovans Gate, D2550 would be put to work on the permanent way trains, although this proved to do little in the way of helping D5, as D2550 would often avoid work under the pretense of engine issues. This would eventually come t a head in 1962, which would see D5, and some of the other branchline engines, work to reignite D2550's self confidence. Following this escapade, D2550 would receive the number D9, and would actually aid in the maintenance of the lie, no longer hindered by his flaws. Since arriving on the NWR< Fred had always carried his matte black livery, albeit now with the 'D9' designation on the side of his cab. D9 is currently allocated to Crovan's Gate MPD.