part five: decathalon

y/n's pov

My eyelids fluttered open slowly to the sun shining brightly. I still felt so tired and I didn't want to move. Wait. I couldn't. Something was weighing me down...

I looked down to see a muscular arm wrapped around my torso. Oh my god...that was Peter. Memories of last night came flooding back and as much as I was pissed at him, i rested my head on his. It was a moment of comfort after being so upset last night...even though he was the one that upset me.

God I'm so confused.

I didn't bother to check the time but it still seemed early so I let my eyes drift back to sleep. I didn't want to deal with all the negative emotions right now. Plus, Peter was weirdly comfortable.

peters pov

I woke up to an arm wrapped around my shoulder and a head leaning against mine. It took me way longer then I'd like to admit to realise it was y/n. When I did, I remembered how upset she was last night and guilt flooded my body, making me cuddle into her. I hadn't been close to her in so long, it was weird.

But so comforting.

She stirred a little so I moved away from her, not wanting her to know we'd cuddled all night. I checked the time and surprisingly we didn't sleep in but we needed to get up now if we wanted to be on time.

"Y/n, we've gotta get up." I spoke softly, shaking her a little.

"Ugh 5 more minutes." She grumbled making me chuckle.

"Well, I'll be in the shower."

y/n's pov

It's not that I wasn't beyond angry at Pete still but I didn't have the energy to be mean and surprisingly, he wasn't making any snarky comments. I stayed in bed just laying there as I waited for him to finish in the bathroom. I heard the door click open and Peter came out wearing nothing but a towel.

You can hate someone and still think they're the most handsome man you've ever seen...right?

"You wanna take a picture? It'll last longer." He smirked.

Hell yeah I wanna take a picture of that body, but instead I simply rolled my eyes and made my way to the shower.

time skip: y/n has finished getting ready and is meeting Mj before the competition.

"Hey y/n, you alright?"

"Um, yeah." I weakly smiled.

"You sure?" Mj chuckled.

"Sorry, it just got really tense last night with Pete and I feel like I haven't slept at all." I sighed.

"Oh shit, you sure you can do this?" She looked with concern.

"Yeah...yeah! I can do it!" I tried to snap myself out my tired trance, as well as my thoughts of peter, and smiled.

We walked towards the hall where the competition was taking place. I tried to focus and prepare myself for the competition but my thoughts shifted to paranoid questions.

Why did he want to meet up?

Why couldn't he had just said what needed to be said last night?

Why had he cuddled me last night?

Why?

I snapped out of my head when Mj showed me to my seat. I all of a sudden became aware that crowds were coming in. My nerves heightened and I realised I wasn't prepared. I'd worked so hard for this but my mind wasn't in the right place.

peters pov

As I sat down, I looked down the row of my team. My eyes landed on y/n. She was staring blankly into the crowd and her breathing seemed to be quick. I went to stand up and go and make sure she's okay when the judge spoke through the microphone.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is time for the decathlon to begin."

She started asking questions and so far, we were doing really well. We were actually beating the other school.

"What element is the most reactive?"

*BUZZ*

"Sodium." Y/n answered.

"I'm sorry, the answer is Fluorine."

Did y/n just get an answer wrong?

y/n's pov

"Midtown high wins!"

Mj answered the last question correct, making us the winners. We all jumped up and hugged her, cheering at our victory. I grinned, happy for them but...this wasn't a victory for me. I suppressed my own personal issues as we made our way to a restaurant to celebrate. We ate, we chatted and we made a toast.

"To Mj!" Ned cheered.

"To Mj!" We repeated and laughed.

She smiled shyly and thanked us all.

"Guys, it we should be dedicating this toast to all of us, we all smashed it!" She laughed.

My smiled faded.

After about 2 hours, I told Mj I wasn't feeling well and left to my hotel room. The beauty of this hotel was that everything you needed was there so I simply left the restaurant and it only took 2 minutes to walk to my room.

I got straight into bed, didn't even bother changing, and began to cry.

I know it was stupid but I had pride in how well I did in school and when I don't do well...I feel horrid. I answered majority of my questions wrong and could have possibly been the reason we lost if it wasn't for my smart teammates.

I just needed to cry by myself under the comfy duvet.

peters pov

After about 3 hours of being in the restaurant, full bellies and happy faces, we all made our way back to our rooms.

"Y/n left early...are you gonna talk to her when you get to your room?" Ned asked.

"Something wasn't right with her today so I won't pester her." Obviously I knew what was wrong and I felt so guilty for it. I was the reason she messed up. And we may not be friends anymore but I know her, she's going to torture herself for it.

"Yeah...I'll see you later."

"Bye."

I walked into our hotel room and plonked on the big comfy chair. I was confused when I couldn't hear y/n so I went into our room. At first, I couldn't see anyone until I noticed a lump under the duvet. I walked over and pulled it back slightly to reveal y/n fast asleep. She was puffy and her face was tear stained.

I knew she would beat herself up about decathlon.

I brushed the loose hair covering her face and a smile tugged at my lips. I couldn't help it, she was so beautiful. Even after crying.

It brought back so many memories of us from years ago. Especially when she was sick and I would insist on looking after her. It made me emotional just thinking about the comparison of then to now. I broke the best relationship I've ever had in my life. I needed to fix it.