Ch. 8: Four Weeks After...

*~* Lovelies! This chapter is indeed shorter than the previous ones in this book, but I think you'll agree with me on this once you finish reading this chapter. It just seems right. *~*

Key: Спи спокойно, мои любимые = Sleep tight, my loves.

~~~

Stress Levels Are High...

The halls of my house, my house, are empty. No sounds of joyful toddler screams, the sounds of pattering feet against the hardwood floors as Pietro chased the kids around. And no sounds of loose paper flying around the house or the whooshing sounds of Pietro running around. The house is just... empty.

Dad thought it was a good idea for me to move back to the compound, and said it would be good to have me around again. I know it's just his way of keeping a close eye on me. He's worried. He's a worried dad. But being back in my home in Singapore worsens the void in my chest. It's been four weeks since the blip. Four weeks since I lost my family and almost five weeks since I've been in our home. The reason I'm even back is to cover the furniture, turn off the appliances, and take what I need to the compound.

As I enter the twins' room, I pull one of the white sheets off my arm, taking a moment to myself before draping the fabric over Xander's bed. I slowly lower myself down to my knees, just staring at the toddler bed. It's such a mess from the last time it was used. We left in such a rush to get out of the house and head to the compound, Pietro had just picked up the kids from their beds and rushed down the stairs.

With careful motions, like I was tucking the twin's in, I gently make Xander's bed, then moved on to make Abella's. Before I do anything else, I stand up and take a step back, taking in the surroundings of the room. I have to stop myself from breaking down as I silently speak.

"Спи спокойно, мои любимые."

As I cover up the last bit of the twin's furniture, I move on to the guest rooms before I can even think to muster up the strength to step a single foot in our room. All I can do is stand in the doorway, staring in, contemplating my next move. It's hard enough trying to put one foot in front of the other, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like covering up our furniture.

Once I manage to finally move, I move so slowly. But once I'm finally in, all I can see are the memories we made over the years. The first time we moved in. The time we painted the walls, more like tried painting the walls. The time Pietro attempted to hang a picture frame for the first time and failed. The night the twins fell asleep in our bed after a very enthusiastic movie night. The day we brought the twins home. The one time Pietro surprised me with breakfast in bed for my very first mothers day, having the twins strapped to his chest in the baby carrier.
Our house holds so many great memories, I don't want to leave it. I don't know if I can leave it.

Doing the same, painful thing I've done with every other room upstairs, I drape the white drop sheets over the furniture, storing away the memories, for the time being. Walking over to our closet, I grab a big bag from a top shelf and begin packing whatever items I needed, including some of my husband's things, just so I have something to hold onto. As I grab hold of one of his shirts, it's the last thing I grab before zipping up the bag and leaving the room for the last time, for god knows how long.

"Yes, I just want to shut off the water, the power, the heat. Yeah, we're just travelling to see family, see if they're all right during this chaos. No, we don't know when we'll be back. All right, thank you so much." as I step off of the last stair, I can see my dad slowly pacing the living room, the furniture already being covered, as he finishes up his phone call.

"You had the appliances shut off?" I ask an obvious question, having this situation feeling all too real.

"Yeah. It only seems fitting, since you won't be back here anytime soon. Don't wanna be paying for bills when you aren't doing anything."

"Hmm." I only make a sound of agreement, looking down at the ground. I knew it was going to happen, but I still hate it.

"Okay, let's get on the road." dad walks over to me, gently turning me around and placing a hand on my back as we exit the house, making sure to lock the door behind us. The two of us get into the truck, my dad starting the engine before he rolls out of my driveway.

Soon, my family home is out of view from my eyes and reality begins to set in for the hundredth time. Half my family was gone. The love of my life was gone, our children were gone, and all I have left is our baby.

~~~

I lay on top of a pile of clothes in my room, staring at the blank spot on the floor. Dad and I had gotten back a couple of hours ago, the sun had already gone down. In my hands, I hold a picture frame tight, admiring the picture. A family portrait. Pietro and I stood side by side, facing each other with loving glances and cheerful smiles on our faces, as we stared at the camera. Xan and Bella were in our arms, being absolute Angels as they smiled brightly with us. They were looking into the camera with joy. I remember how stubborn Abella was that day, more stubborn than usual. I'd never seen her more upset to wear a dress in her life. She was throwing a tantrum up until the point of the picture. A choked laugh passed my lips as I began to cry again.

A rhythmic tapping on my door forces me to lift my head. There, standing in my doorway is Thor.

"How are you, little one?" Thor asks about my state of mind, treading into my room with caution, a wary look roaming his features. I force myself to sit up, making direct eye contact with him.

"Do you want an honest answer or some bullshit answer?"

"You're right, it was a dumb question." after that, both of us stay silent for a moment.

"How do you feel about killing Thanos? Honest answer." this question catches me off guard. I'm not sure how to answer that. If I give him an honest answer, he'll tell my dad and it'll cause him to be even more protective of me than he already is. So, do I tell the truth or lie?

"He served no purpose being alive, just like the stones served no purpose after he took away half the earth's population. If he didn't have the stones, we didn't need him anymore." I dodge any kind of answer, speaking half the truth. I felt awful. I had killed somebody, even if he was a monster, I still killed him. I hadn't killed anyone since my accident. I was doing good, but then I just snapped. Thor just stares at me for a second before humming and turning his head.

"I'll be leaving the compound. I hopefully still have people who need me out there." after hearing this "goodbye," I look up with a sad smile, thinking maybe it would be for the best.

"I'll miss you, ya big teddy bear." moving closer towards Thor, I manage to wrap my arms around his torso, giving the best goodbye hug I could manage right now. Thor holds onto me tight, savouring the moment.

After our goodbye, Thor gets up and leaves my room, turning around to wave at me one last time before he disappears behind a corner.

Once I knew Thor was gone, I resorted back to my original position on the pile of laundry before Thor had entered my room. I stare at the picture again, missing the company of my husband and kids.