; eight

S A M - July 4, 1962 - 10:00 A.M.

"Happy Fourth of July, Sam!" Wendy cheered as Sam walked out of her room with her pyjamas and messy hair.

"Weren't you supposed to say that later?" Sam mumbled, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

After sulking over Benny at the dump for a couple of days, Sam decided to move back in 'her' house. She was still mad at her parents but she was tired of living in the streets when had the chance of living in a house.

"Nope!"

Sam rolled her eyes and trudged into the kitchen where she knew her parents and the ankle biter was.

"Good morning, Samantha." Her father greeted. Sam stayed quiet and walked toward the fridge.

"Still working on the talking to us thing, huh?" Her mother asked. Sam opened the refrigerator.

"Sammy!" The ankle biter squealed, lifting his chubby little arms for Sam to pick him up. He was sitting on the floor, looking up at Sam. Sam took out an apple, closed the fridge, and took a big bite. Finally, she left the kitchen.

"How did it go?" Wendy asked as soon as Sam came out.

"Like always." She sighed.

"You have to start talking to them soon, Sam. You can't keep a grudge forever."

"Watch me." Sam started walking towards her room and footsteps were heard behind her, meaning that Wendy was following her. Sam sighed deeply as she sat on her bed and munched on the apple.

"Okay, I won't force you to talk to them but," Wendy ran to Sam's closet and took out a silk looking black dress with a metal ring in the middle. "Can you wear this? Mom and I picked it for you for tonight."

The dress looked beautiful and Sam started to love it, but when Wendy mentioned that her mother picked it out, her mood went downhill. But Sam had to admit, her mother had good taste.

"I'll...I'll try it." Sam finished her apple and threw it in the trash can next to her bed.

Wendy smiled and handed Sam the dress. Sam changed out of her plaid pyjamas shorts and shirt and tried on the dress. When she had it on, she looked in the mirror.

The dress landed right on her knees and it hugged her body perfectly. Sam twirled and watched as the dressed smoothed out.

"It's beautiful..." Sam stopped spinning.

"So you'll wear it?" Wendy asked hopefully.

Sam thought about it for a few seconds, then she nodded. Wendy squealed.

"Okay so..do you have anything for this dress?" Sam asked. She wasn't a girly-girl but she knew that she needed at least one accessory.

"I have the perfect thing, wait right here!" Wendy walked out the door.

Moments later, Wendy came back in with a red flower crown in her hands. She placed it on Sam's messy hair.

"Perfect!" She gasped.

"But it's red.."

"I have some red wedges-"