; eighteen

S A M

Charlie's nose scrunched up as she stared in disgust at what Sam was doing. Sam looked up and stared at her best friend, her fry halfway into the shake they were sharing.

"That's gross," Charlie grimaced and pushed the strawberry drink towards Sam. She took out her fry and bit into it.

"It's good!" Sam chewed. "Give it a try."

"You're out of his tree, Sam." Charlie shook her head and turned away from Sam, waving one of the waiters over to order another shake.

(Out Of His Tree - Crazy)

Sam shrugged and finished the fry. More for me then, Sam thought.

Sam then turned to the rest of the team, and they were unusually quiet. They're usually cracking jokes, or at least talking about something. And they were eager to arrive when they were back at the school field.

"C'mon girls! Let's hear some lingo! We won!" Sam spoke up and smiled. They all sighed simultaneously and shrugged their shoulders, murmuring in agreement. Soon they started talking again. "That's more like it."

(Let's Hear Some Lingo - A command to start talking)

A couple of moments later, Sam saw Charlie's hand reach into the basket of fries and took a fry. She said, "Don't look now Sam but.."

"God Charlie, don't be an idiot stick. If ya' say that, of course I'm going to turn around and look at what ya' don't want me to-" Sam swiftly span around in the stool she was sitting on and her eyes landed on a group huddled around a table. But not just any group, Benny and the sandlot boys. Sam groaned and turned around before burying her face into my hands.

(Idiot Stick - Someone who acts as he was not very smart)

"He won't leave me alone, will he?" Sam asked outloud, but more to herself.

"I guess not but, give him a shot Sam." Charlie answered. Sam froze for a quick moment before lifting her head up as another strawberry shake was placed in front of her on the counter.

"Are ya' really sayin', what I think you're sayin'?" Sam blinked repeatedly as she stared at the girl in front of her. Charlie slowly nodded then took a sip of her shake out of the straw. "Who are ya' and what have ya done to Charlotte Daisy Smith?"

"I'm just sayin', he said he was sorry so I guess you can forgive him-"

"No. No, no, no. I can't believe you're sayin' this to me Charlie. Why are ya? You just said that you didn't want me doing anything with him!" Sam noticed how Charlie was seated next to her, facing her but glancing at the group of boys.

Charlie took another glance but took a little longer to turn back to Sam. When she turned back to Sam, her cheeks were a rosy pink. Sam already knew what was happening, and she was going to put a stop to it.

"Wait," Sam noticed who Charlie was looking at and grimaced.. "Please don't tell me ya' like...Bertram?"

Charlie's cheeks burned a deeper shade of pink that it almost looked red. Sam's jaw dropped as she gaped at her in shock. Sam turned in the stool and looked back at the boys. Bertram was staring at Charlie, but then his eyes trailed over to Sam.